Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68_early_bay said:
How's the 1600tp rebuild coming along?? :D

I've rebuilt both heads, had the valves and seats recut. Engine back together now. Just repairing and painting the tinware. Hopefully engine back in this weekend :D

uber cool said:
68_early_bay said:
How's the 1600tp rebuild coming along?? :D

I've rebuilt both heads, had the valves and seats recut. Engine back together now. Just repairing and painting the tinware. Hopefully engine back in this weekend :D

Nice :D picked up a project 1600tp turn key last week, to build a project engine for my bus (next winters project) so will be looking out for your pictures etc on your rebuild :D

100_1993.jpg

Heads stripped and cleaned Took them to Bambers engine shop in preston, all valves and seats recut and lapped £38 inc VAT, :D

100_1995.jpg

100_1994.jpg

Do you think it stands for EarlyBay :lol:

100_1999.jpg

Heads rebuilt

100_2000.jpg

Got a bit carried away and polished the Dynamo stand :shock:

100_2001.jpg

dodge6x6 said:
nice picture on page 92 of Camper & bus at dubfreeze

:lol: :lol: I though you were refering to an earlier picture on this thread! I know this is one of the awesome threads on EB thats ongoing and keeps me coming back for more but 92 pages would be a lot!

uber cool said:
100_1994.jpg

Do you think it stands for EarlyBay :lol:

The rebuilds looking good so far :D but personalised inlet valves are pushing it too far :lol:
Have you kept to total standard or you thinking of adding any toys? twin carbs or anything?

Shaun

It's basically standard other than 1641cc B&P's, bolted rockers, MSD ignition and 4 into 1 exhaust. just need to get it running again so I can build the porsche motor. :D

But next project is the Alfa engine into the Beetle :D

uber cool said:
It's basically standard other than 1641cc B&P's, bolted rockers, MSD ignition and 4 into 1 exhaust. just need to get it running again so I can build the porsche motor. :D

But next project is the Alfa engine into the Beetle :D

How is the Porsche engine ?? Have you finally been able to get all your parts ? Everything must be nearly new in it now :)

Porsche engine parts collection going well. :D

Got new crank, big end amd cam bearings, the crank has been reground, good 2nd hand oil pump shaft and gear and 6 good 2nd hand barrels and pistons.

Going to get new valves guides and heads, valves recut as well.

Yeah, so will be practically a newly rebuilt engine when completed. But ive plenty others projects as well, :oops:

67 Beetle- to fit Alfa engine for drag racing
Bay trailer - needs completing
Open top Volksrod - started but still collecting parts

uber cool said:
Engine back in and running,,,,, but then I blew my Pertronics ignition up :cry:

Gutted :( and have much sympathy as I've done the same before. Now a big believer in the cheap and simples of points and a condensor! :evil:
Well, unless it's a full monty mallory or msd job :lol:
At least it's a cheap and simple fix :D

(providing you don't get sidetracked by a Mallory like I did when I nuked mine.... :roll: :lol: )

Geeze said:
(providing you don't get sidetracked by a Mallory like I did when I nuked mine.... :roll: :lol: )

I've been tempted to try a 123 ignition:

http://www.123ignition.nl/products.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:satanlook: :popcorn:

yeah, out my price range just to get it back runing again, need to save all my pennies for the Porsche motor :lol:

There was an alternative to pertronix's just cant remember who it was............ I'll have to do a search

Engine back in and running
100_2014.jpg

But fried the Pertronix's so fitted an ignition kit from http://www.simonbbc.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and fitted it to a vac dizzy JFU4, og VW item, instead of the after market 009 with no vac advance as fitted before.

100_2007.jpg

Stripped dizzy to fit new ignition unit, straight forward swap points for module.

100_2008.jpg

100_2012.jpg

Couldn't help but give it a quick polish :lol:

100_2018.jpg

100_2023.jpg

Next job to fit a fuel solenoid close to the tank and linked into the coil. so only open when the ignition is on.

100_2024.jpg

Haveacamper said:
we're both getting close to getting in a magazine :)

looking good

whats with the solenoid? it this because you have mechanical fuel pump rather than electric and you want to stop fuel from pumping in the event of the engine stalling etc?
seen to many engine fires lately :shock: , so if the pump fails, carb spindle leaks or hoses ruptures etc the tank will drain due to being higher than the engine. So going to mount this on a very short hose from the tank (above gearbox) and linked to the ignition switch, so when off, it's closed.

Got the van photo in Camper and Bus this month, page 92 arriving at dubfreeze, does that count :lol:

the 911 engine still on the bench in parts :(

need to sort the camper for holidays and the beetle ready for Classic Le Mans in July, so guess it might be winter before it gets built!

uber cool said:
Haveacamper said:
we're both getting close to getting in a magazine :)

looking good

whats with the solenoid? it this because you have mechanical fuel pump rather than electric and you want to stop fuel from pumping in the event of the engine stalling etc?
seen to many engine fires lately :shock: , so if the pump fails, carb spindle leaks or hoses ruptures etc the tank will drain due to being higher than the engine. So going to mount this on a very short hose from the tank (above gearbox) and linked to the ignition switch, so when off, it's closed.

Got the van photo in Camper and Bus this month, page 92 arriving at dubfreeze, does that count :lol:

the 911 engine still on the bench in parts :(

need to sort the camper for holidays and the beetle ready for Classic Le Mans in July, so guess it might be winter before it gets built!

just fitted the same type to mine for the same reasons, power taken from the coil at the moment might fit hidden isolator switch as well, but run through the automatic fire extinguisher i just fitted as well so should shut off if these's a fire
(in theory). I chose that shut of valve as its got a bypass valve if it ever fails.

cheers Pete

yes that's the same reason why I choose it, so if it fails you can manual flip it over. I've also bought one of those GPS alarms, so will link it in to the alarm, so it can be activated to open via a text message if it's stolen :mrgreen: