Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh cock :evil: I've managed to break one of the oil control piston rings whilst slipping the barrels on. Guess what, the oil rings in 5mm (which I need are no longer available) only available in 4mm. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Spent about 4 days on the phone and eventually found a Porsche Dealer in Devon that can import me a set of rings, should arrive in 10 days.

On a plus point I have received in the post a US number plate holder from the original dealership in California and better still got it from the dealer himself who sold the bus back in 69, How Cool is that :mrgreen: The power of the internet hey :p

Whilst waiting for the piston rings i'm going to repair the side of the bus from the bump last year.........I know should have got this sorted beforehand :roll: now a panic for Bus types :shock:

Oh and found this bad boy on VZI, custom made Porsche exhaust system.

29032010087.jpg

Repairs to the side completed, sprayed in 2 pack by me and the dam colour didnt match :evil: despite the paint coming from the same place that sprayed it last year :!:
100_2704.jpg

Took the filler flap to Auto Paints in Farnworth, Bolton and got an exact match, then can even ready mix a small amount in a can for £7.99, saved me getting all my spray equipment cleaned again :D
westy031.jpg

The wifes now saying that we need to increase our VW fleet (we only have 1 :lol: ) and has started thinking about a beetle, told her that i will look into it ;)
Give us some more info on the bug

How you doing mate lookin good as always
Cant wait to hear it.
I missed you the other weekend Stamford i
saw your bus but couldnt find you!
Never mind i'll pop up shortly gettin the van
saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good things come to he who waits!!
Cheers Andy..

Andy Mac, would be good to see your van,

More pics of the Beetle, the paint work is awful, complete orange peel, it will need a respray at some stage. The body is sound, has new floor pans, poly bushed everywhere, 3" narrowed lowered beam, new cross drilled discs and calipers, new rear cyinders all new hoses and master cylinder, brand new 1641 engine (never run before I got it) :shock: the PO assembled the piston rings wrong, so smoked like hell, :lol: stripped it down rotated the rings and now fine. Also has twin carbs and nice chrome trim on engine.

I think someone has spent serious money on this, but the bloke I got it from had had it 6 months but had lost interest. It was sold as a non runner as he couldnt get it going and no MOT. I got it home and it took 6 mins to get it started, he had wired the coil wrong and connections on the fuel pump reversed. Then 4 hours to strip and rotate the piston rings.

I paid £1500 for it :D however I did have to go via Southampton, as I was supposed to be picking up up a mint 65 ragtop, turned out to be mint paint and rotten underneath :roll: So on the way back stopped in wigan , 10 miles from me, the guy wanted £2000, I expained it was late I have a hired trailer and £1500 in my pocket, after some extreme face pulling( him not me :lol: ) and chatting with his wife ( I think she wanted shut of it ) it was on the trailer.

next stage MOT, paint the sides cream, new side trim and a fit a ragtop,
67beetle005.jpg

67beetle004.jpg

67beetle001.jpg

67beetle006.jpg

Anyway, back to the westy.

On the way back from Stanford Hall it started to run rough, coughing a spluttering. Stopped in the services changed the coil and leads. Set off again and made no difference. However its was sort of like fuel starvation, lift the throttle pedal and it came back.

So when I get home stripped the carb down and cleaned out with an air line.
westy025.jpg

westy027.jpg

westy028.jpg

Between the float valve and carb top I found a small piece of rubber pipe, I reckon this kept moving about and blocking the float valve. Ive fitted all new hoses 6 months ago, so its either a cheap hose breaking up or a bit of the old hose when I removed them that have moved its way along.

westy030.jpg

I am following this tthread with a lot of interest. Keep up the good Job:) and. Please Open up a new turrad on the "bargain bug"! It will be a great source of info too :D

ibérico said:
I am following this tthread with a lot of interest. Keep up the good Job:) and. Please Open up a new turrad on the "bargain bug"! It will be a great source of info too :D

+1

New thread on Beetle in Gallery :party0021: