Unable to remove the 'Pitman' arm!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gninnam

Reaction score
Hi all

Trying for ages now - dowsing with penetration oil, heating up the arm, tapping with a lump hammer and also using a puller to move it off my it's not budging :(
Pic from today's attempt:

20160917_155220_zpsyanmt5pc.jpg

All I am able to achieve is the bending of the puller arms or the ting slipping off.
What next - cut it off and try and get another (I take it no one makes new ones), but are they like hens teeth?

Thanks for looking and your suggestions.

Buy a pitman arm removal tool from eBay so you don't need all that g clamp stuff going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluenose said:
Buy a pitman arm removal tool from eBay so you don't need all that g clamp stuff going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been told that on another forum so will get one and see if it will budge.

Thanks.

im in Leeds and have a 10 ton hydraulic puller if you need a borrow bud ..

It shifted mine after a bit of soaking ..

Hilly

I put my bigger balljoint splitter on mine (the clamp type, not the redneck fork hammer type)

Its came straight off with the cordless windy gun

Hilly_70 said:
im in Leeds and have a 10 ton hydraulic puller if you need a borrow bud ..

It shifted mine after a bit of soaking ..

Hilly
Cheers Hilly - just ordered a proper pitman puller so see how I get on with that first :)

Proper pitman puller didn't work.
So will need to try and remove the box with it still attached.
How do I get the box disconnected from the steering column so I can try to waggle it out?
The four nuts at the bottom of the bolts that hold it on to the rubber thingy just turn so I need to grab hold of the top of the bolt's, but how does the cover in the cab come off?

won't go through chassis with arm on bud .. :(

Has to come off first ..

Split bolts from coupling rubber and 4 bolts through chassis leg.

Hydrolic puller still here if req .. just let me know if you need it .. working away from Weds

Hilly

sparkywig said:
You should be able to reach the steering coupler bolts/nuts with a spanner.
Don't tap the Pitman arm with a lump hammer, fucking whack it. And loads of heat, then it'll come off.
Was whacking it, but I don't have anything better than a butane burner, but the power cables run behind so have to be careful.....

Hilly_70 said:
won't go through chassis with arm on bud .. :(

Has to come off first ..

Split bolts from coupling rubber and 4 bolts through chassis leg.

Hydrolic puller still here if req .. just let me know if you need it .. working away from Weds

Hilly
Would the hydraulic puller work with the pitman still attached?
If so then gimme :)

Its similar to a normal puller bud .. just has more umpf!

PM me where you are and I'll see if I can get it to ya ..

Worth a try for nowt.

Hilly

looks like you need a bigger breaker bar or a 3/4 inch ratchet with a really long handle and lots of heat the yellow bottle not the blue one. i had a really stubborn one on a parts bus i had and that's what it took.

smokehouse said:
looks like you need a bigger breaker bar or a 3/4 inch ratchet with a really long handle and lots of heat the yellow bottle not the blue one. i had a really stubborn one on a parts bus i had and that's what it took.

Its not the size of the bar, its the thing won't budge - I think heat is the answer, but boring Hilly's 10tonne puller so hoping that will do the trick ;-)

I've used a Sykes and Pickvant coach type (scissor) ball joint splitter, have done a dozen over the years and always works for me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/182169398216?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=28306099746&rlsatarget=pla-184492178226&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045997&device=c&campaignid=628859225&crdt=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mattp said:
I've used a Sykes and Pickvant coach type (scissor) ball joint splitter, have done a dozen over the years and always works for me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/182169398216?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=28306099746&rlsatarget=pla-184492178226&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045997&device=c&campaignid=628859225&crdt=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
90 quid... ouch.

Well, hilly's 10 tonne puller didn't work so just working around it now.

Had the same on my old one, tried everything. In the end had it soaked with plus gas while under pressure with hydraulic puller with small strong clamps (not sure what they were off) holding the puller arms. On the last attempt (tried half a dozen times) it came off with a bang!

62 deluxe said:
Had the same on my old one, tried everything. In the end had it soaked with plus gas while under pressure with hydraulic puller with small strong clamps (not sure what they were off) holding the puller arms. On the last attempt (tried half a dozen times) it came off with a bang!
Think I need something that can generate a lot of heat - but for now, just working around it.

Latest posts