Under body heater tube

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manxfella

Reaction score
I need to replace the steel underbody heater tube.
How have people fitted this? Straight forward tack welding or have you sleeved the 2 ends & slid the pipe over for a tight fit?
Thanks.

My bus had a plastic pipe instead of steel
Looked like something u can buy at a hardware store
Don't know if it was working as I bought it as a shell.
Will never rust !!

You mean something like a piece of drain pipe?
It gets pretty hot at the business end. Worth looking into though.

hy i have done a couple of these, mine was rotted. i measured the tube exactly 3" longer between the cross sections,cut to length, cut out the existing tube ,both ends,(grinded both ends,)slid it in and pulled back,self tapped 2 screws to hold in position,then stikaflex around joints, oh painted it first, looks the bizz and solid as owt, hope it helps :D

On my old bay I had a plastic jobbie that was made for the job, sands of time have covered it's tracks but it was from one of the big players like JK etc

Don't know if you've found this before, but thought I'd put the link up anyway.
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/bay-bus/211255785A/heater-pipe-front-rear-70mm-56-72-split-early-bay/?crumbStartPage=2&crumbStartRow=33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way, some time ago I found a company that did a plastic version of the rear Y section, but I've lost the link. Anybody know who did them?

That link from heritage is a steel pipe & is the one I've got. Pretty substantial piece of metal.

Sleeving & bonding looks like the way forward.

Latest posts