under cylinder tinware missing.....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

le catweasel

Reaction score
I just rebuilt the 1600 in our bus and found the under cylinder tinware on the floor this morning :shock:

These pieces:

Is there a way if fitting these without removing the heads? Alternatively how important are they to efficient cooling of the engine, I'd rather have them but if I can get away without then I don't mind.

Thanks

They are important. They deflect the cooling air to make it flow round the cylinders rather than it escaping straight down and hence not cooling the underside of the barrels.

It's possible (though not recommended) to get them in with the pushrods tubes in the way but it means some serious and skilled bending and manipulation of the fitting tabs. I have seen it done but wouldn't fancy trying it myself tbh.

They should be clipped in place onto the head studs before fitting the pushrods tubes onto the crank case.

you can buy two piece pushrod tubes, pry out original tubes, install tins and reinstall two piece tubes (quality ones like CSP) and presto. Rather expensive lesson, but it needs to be done. Don´t drive without these small tins.

When I rebought my crossover from the chap I sold it to eighteen months earlier, he had fitted a different engine and he gave me those two pieces shown. I have been running around for 16 years wondering where they went. If anyone could give me some idea of how to fit them i.e. which way round they go, and how and where the tabs fit and are located. With much appreciation Mike.

The tabs push up in between the cylinders, above the pushrod tubes. Id imagine after 16 years they may just be spares as i believe they get quite hot without them.

If you look up from underneath the engine you will either see these above the pushrod tubes or just the cylinders.

Ballache to fit though, my engines currently out so i can do them haha

Hi looked up can only see the fins of the cylinders, seems I have a job for some one to do might try myself, but at age 75 nearly might struggle. Thanks

Latest posts