underbody coating ?????????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustydiver

Reaction score
What have people used to underseal the undersides of their vans.

Mines due back from the garage soon :D , from a front end rebuild and i need to rustproof it. Any ideas, what to use, how easy is it. What can i use on the remaining rusty bits to slow the process down.

Paint the metal with something tough like POR-15 or Rust Bullet. Hammer/Smoothrite does a similar job but isnt as effective long term.
Then coat the areas in Waxoyl or Ankor Wax, this will ensure a waterproof coating that inhibits rust.

Avoid cheap underseal, it looks nasty, and when dry tends to crack, and therfore traps moisture, thus negating its use.

I would be interested to know whats best as I need to do mine soon.

One customer of mine used a mix of old engine oil & something, it looked like perfect underseal, It wasn't obvious what it was.

100% water proof.

A mate of mine who works in a garage uses an underseal with wax oil in it will have to find out more from him when i see him.

Was thinking about POR for rusty bits then the chassis paint for top coat and eveything else.

rustydiver said:
A mate of mine who works in a garage uses an underseal with wax oil in it will have to find out more from him when i see him.

Was thinking about POR for rusty bits then the chassis paint for top coat and eveything else.

I've been doing mine over the last few days. I have been using Tetroseal mixed with neat wax oil and thinned down with a bit of white spirit. It's cheap as chips, gives great coverage and really keeps the moisture off. I'm gonna have all the internal channels and sections filled with wax oil.

Latest posts