Underseat storage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Microbus
M-codes
Not sure
Hi all,

I've been debating putting some storage in the void underneath the inside of my front seats. Has anyone tried this and if so was it succesful?

Thanks in Advance

Lee

I only use the directly under the seat space and behind it and i have so much stuff there ha. I have clutch cables, 1 of 4 fire extinguishers, valet stuff, accelerator cables, coil, condenser, towels etc etc. Its like a little garage 😆 but its all going to be moved to a proper storage spot inside soon ha. As for that space underneath. Hmm. I cant say i have used it. It would involve cutting possibly but its a space and im sure you could put some tools etc in there. 🤙

There’s a few that have put a little diesel heater in there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, Or a bit of rear access :eek:
I was debating a diesel heater on one side and a van safe on the other but it could potentially go a bit awry cutting holes into the seat base. Im happy enough to build the structure back but just querying if anyone had done it so I can look at pics.

Velgreeno I have a swivel chair on the passenger seat so space is very limited under that seat. I could always have a parts locker under the drivers seat. I have electric porsche seats so all the gubbins under the driver seat is a bit of a nightmare for hacking out and having solid bits to weld a frame onto

I was debating a diesel heater on one side and a van safe on the other but it could potentially go a bit awry cutting holes into the seat base. Im happy enough to build the structure back but just querying if anyone had done it so I can look at pics.

Velgreeno I have a swivel chair on the passenger seat so space is very limited under that seat. I could always have a parts locker under the drivers seat. I have electric porsche seats so all the gubbins under the driver seat is a bit of a nightmare for hacking out and having solid bits to weld a frame onto
Did you go ahead and cut some storage into the front seat voids? , I only ask as I was wanting to do the same ie.diesel heater on one side and storage on the other .

Thanks a lot for posting the pics that’s just what I want to do . Where does the exhaust (especially) and combustion air pipes come out underneath in relation to cables / pipes etc ?

This is on my list too. Before I cut out the hole, I’m gonna make a template negative in old ply and gaffer tape that to the seat stand and maybe it’ll come out nice,

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,and maybe not :ROFLMAO:

This is on my list too. Before I cut out the hole, I’m gonna make a template negative in old ply and gaffer tape that to the seat stand and maybe it’ll come out nice,

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,and maybe not :ROFLMAO:
Cheeky bugger! My effort doesn’t look that bad!
I plan to put a plate over the top to cover it eventually!

No idea what you are planning to do mat wise, but we got the Madmatz full kit for ours. This includes mats that go over that part of the seat. No extra work needed, I just put Velcro on the seat base bit and on the mat so I could easily take off if we needed the extinguishers.

No idea what you are planning to do mat wise, but we got the Madmatz full kit for ours. This includes mats that go over that part of the seat. No extra work needed, I just put Velcro on the seat base bit and on the mat so I could easily take off if we needed the extinguishers.
Velcro is a good idea! Already have the madmatz set for the front.
Was planning on an ali panel, with dimpled holes drilled into it for strength and then using ‘speed clips’ to fix it in place.

No no no, Stick wrong end of. I was saying not so long back that I didn’t know what to do as my pal has bought me an eight Kilowatt heater and I’m not exactly sure if I can get it in. If it does fit I’ll have zero room for errors but I’m not sure if it will fit anyway. I picked up that tip on another forum so I thought I’d pop it on here too. Your effort is more than grand. How are you gonna finish it? A flap, a door, a cover or just leave it open praps.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Should know me betterer than that bud :)

No no no, Stick wrong end of. I was saying not so long back that I didn’t know what to do as my pal has bought me an eight Kilowatt heater and I’m not exactly sure if I can get it in. If it does fit I’ll have zero room for errors but I’m not sure if it will fit anyway. I picked up that tip on another forum so I thought I’d pop it on here too. Your effort is more than grand. How are you gonna finish it? A flap, a door, a cover or just leave it open praps.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Should know me betterer than that bud :)
Only messing!
Just a simple ali panel, few dimpled holes for strength and airflow and maybe some dzus fasteners

Interesting idea putting the heater in there. I was part of a group buy of a Propex gas heater about 9 years back and its still in a box in the garage. I was going to put it under the rear seat as had a danbury set up. Just switched to a Rusty R&R ans it's a bit tight for space, so this looks like an option

Interesting idea putting the heater in there. I was part of a group buy of a Propex gas heater about 9 years back and its still in a box in the garage. I was going to put it under the rear seat as had a danbury set up. Just switched to a Rusty R&R ans it's a bit tight for space, so this looks like an option
That made me laugh. I hadn’t fitted mine either and I sold it on the LateBay site at the beginning of the year. I got mine in that very same group buy. I think it was Pete Nice that organised it, that was a while back.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,My mate bought me an 8 KW ,, yes 8 :eek:

What has become of the two pre-threaded holes for the seat-belt mounting points in the central aisle?

I would be wary of cutting large holes (especially with sharp internal corners, which create extreme stress-concentrations for crack formation!) in a vital support structure for the front seat, which might be in danger of failing in the event of a collision!

I think your observation is a valid one.
Might look to weld in some support.
To be honest I haven’t given that much consideration, just followed what others have done re: heater location.

Latest posts