Urgent help needed!! It won't go into gear.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbedup67

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I need some help urgently.

Went to move the van today and it wouldn't go into gear.
I checked the usual and then decided in my ultimate wisdom to take the gear lever off and check under there.

Now I've put it all back together and it won't go into any gear but only when it's running and just grinds it's Arse off.

What have I done wrong.
I feel like a right tool.

Cheers
Matt

Bit more info needed, did it work the last time you used it? Have you done any work on the van since it worked? Does it go into gear without engine running? What actually happens when you try to put it into gear with engine running?

There aren't many things it could be, most likely would be clutch or the gear linkage itself. Some more details would help though!

Sorry yeah.

Right well,it was getting a struggle to find 1st and 2nd occasionally,especially when pulling away from junctions and such.
No works been done to the van recently.
It feels like it goes into gear without the engine running.
When it is running it feels like there's something stopping it going into 1st or 3rd and when I go for 2nd,4th or reverse it just grinds.

Linkage seems all good as that was replaced not long ago.

Have you checked your clutch adjustment? The symptoms sound like it could be something simple like this - worth checking as a starting point. The clutch pedal should have a certain distance before you start to feel the resistance of the bearing meeting the pressure plate - someone else I'm sure will know what this is off the top of their head!

As above. My money is on clutch. Check pedal play, and any signs of wear on the cable. I had this once, adjusted the pedal and then went for a drive.... cable snapped leaving me to drive home clutchless. Not an experience i'd recommend! Lol

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Latest posts