US Style Rear Lights Covers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TakeLifeEasy

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether is is legal to leave the red rear light covers in place and just replace one of the bulbs with a yellow bulb for the indicators? Is this legal or do you need a yellow light cover?

Many thanks.

I still run the US lenses with the reversing lights set up as indicators. It passed the MOT with this set up :mrgreen:

You don't end up with reverse lights

Mine passed with the red lenses, and no reverse light. The indicator bulb is clear so it flashes red as well. MOT pass!

Marvel

That is illegal and you could be pulled for it, red flashing rear lights are not allowed after 65/66 after a change in the construction & use regulations.

Personally I wouldn't run them anyway as I found when my first bus had these that most people on the motorway especially didnt recognise it as an indicator and wouldn't let me out, changing the reverse lights to indicators makes it clearer and safer.

Marvel said:
Mine passed with the red lenses, and no reverse light. The indicator bulb is clear so it flashes red as well. MOT pass!

This was the set up in mine when I bought my bus 10 years ago. It failed it's 1st MOT with us because of this set up & we had to change the light units & lenses.

I can see that some people may not recognise it as an indicator. Saying that though, we have a large proportion of american vehicles around here from the USAF bases.

I changed mine so now dont have any indicators. But watch this space, i have new bulb fitments and im planning on drilling an extra hole in the reverse light holder and fitting reversing lights again.

i run all red lenses and reverse lights i change them for a uk set of lenses for the mot man ;) not been pulled if i did i would act thick and blame it being amercian bus and hope to get away with it :msn4:

i prefer the look of them this way ,although i did hear you can paint your bulbs green they will flash amber through all red lenses :shock: :shock: if i get a minute and some green paint i will try it

regards
chris

crede999 said:
i run all red lenses and reverse lights i change them for a uk set of lenses for the mot man ;) not been pulled

I do the same and did do on a daily driver for years, never having been pulled. I think you'd be unlucky to get a policeman who knew that your 60's car was built after September 65 and therefore needs amber indicators and would actually fine you for it!

US lenses on mine, normal backings, amber LED indicator bulbs.
Photo0482.jpg

Legal and works a treat.

Latest posts