Valve adjusters wrong way round?!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meowdmucker

Reaction score
Just come to adjust the valves (chromoly)on my new 2110 engine from the states after 500 miles and the allen key adjusters are over the push rod (bottom) side of the rocker arms. In all the books i have the adjusters are over the spring side. Has anybody else got this 'upside down' set up and does it affect the way the valves are adjusted? Thankyou.

All engines with pushrods that i've ever worked on (mostly British Leyland) have their adjusters on the pushrod side, yours sound normal to me.

That may be true but my beetle and the previous 1600 engine in the bay had the adjusters on the spring/valve side of the rockers, this engine has the adjusters on the push rod side. Anyway I've adjusted them the same way as recommended on a different site and seems to be running ok.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-198-700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

meowdmucker said:
That may be true but my beetle and the previous 1600 engine in the bay had the adjusters on the spring/valve side of the rockers, this engine has the adjusters on the push rod side. Anyway I've adjusted them the same way as recommended on a different site and seems to be running ok.

0?

Joval said:
meowdmucker said:

0?

I've never seen rocker shafts fitted that way round before,I didn't think it was possible?

I think what you have found on your engine is perfectly normal.

Araon said:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-198-700
My set up is opposite to this photo. I measure the gap on the valve side as normal but the nut/allen key adjuster is on the opposite side. From everyone's comments presumably not that common? :?

They fit into the dome shaped end of the rocker as per photo in the earlier thread but on top of this is the locking nut/allen key adjuster. At the valve spring end the top of the rocker is just a rounded surface ( like the push rod end in the picture) ie back to front. I'm not going bonkers honestly!

Have seen this type sold on the samba before - cant recall the name but for some reason I'm thinking they are named after a scandanavian guy???????
Will look for a link.......

Just did a search for Erson (which was the name I was thinking of ;) ) on thesamba & found these:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=807755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm good :lol:

And probably where I read about them before:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NPJVPIGRJ0EC&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=sig+erson+vw+rockers&source=bl&ots=i2cFC3OqaQ&sig=_UlhN3yRIv4BGN02hSHTQYB8Gx8&hl=en&ei=86NoSturDoyNjAex3oGeCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although I cant find the book right now.

Well you learn something every day, i take it yours are the ones shown on page 62 of the previously mentioned book, trust the Germans to complicate things.

Thanks Loxy, you are brilliant! I knew I wasn't going bonkers ! Mine are like those in the middle of the group on page 60 but similar to the berg ones on page 62 with the adjusters at the push rod end. Hopefully you will all see why I was a bit surprised when I took the rocker covers off! :eek:

the deal with adjusting on the rod instead of the valve was to improve surface contact. on stock setups (adjustment over valve) over years the adjustment screw would wear at an angle. then when you adjust your clearences and turn the bolt a smidge. the contact surface if you imagine is a corner (exaggerated abit). this wears even quicker and the cycle continues. having a nice flat surface mating the the nice flat surface of your valve to open it is ideal really.

you've all seen those ball end adustment screws, more trouble than they're worth in my own experience, but i think that was due to them being craply made tat aimed to sell to naive impressionable vw enthusiasts. like alot of stuff out there.

Thanks stagger Lea, that does make a lot of sense. It looks like for once I've used an aftermarket item that's better(or at least no worse) than the origional! :)

Latest posts