Van Covers - Keeping Your Bus Dry

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TakeLifeEasy

Reaction score
What do people think about the covers on the market to keep the elements away from your van and what cover have you found to be the best? I wonder if they scratch the paint work when continually putting them on and off or hold the damp in? I am considering dry store over the main winter but been thinking about one of these covers and using it through spring to autumn?

Mine lives under a Pro-tec cover http://www.caravancovers.org.uk/products.php?type=customcovers&view=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all through the winter, which does a great job as its breathable as well as waterproof (but not cheap!). Haven't had any scratching of paintwork, just a couple of broken aerials when putting on/taking off :D

If you search for threads on van covers you'll probably decide against a JK one. I won't use amy cover after a bad experience with it spoiling my paint.

Many thanks for the responses, looks like Pro-tec gets the votes so far so will take a look at their prices.

we had a jk cover which was not waterproof at all, so we opted for an expensive one from a company similar to the pro tec ones (can't remember off the top of my head who they were)

it was good although i think that evaporating water off the floor must have sometimes gotten under it. I found that a few times the van was wet even though the cover had been used.

still not sure about them, our cover ended up getting ripped in the wind so i need to get a new one and have asked for a price from pro tec, i think that if you can't dry store you're van you should use a cover but take it off whenever you get a dry day in the winter and let it air

There have been quite a few discussions on this subject but I still can't make up my mind.

I think it would be a pro-tec cover if I went for anything. I'd still like to know if you can put a cover on a wet vehicle or if you have to dry it first.

I think they make good dust covers for vans stored inside and make good short term protective covers for short term outside storage to stop excessive pooling of water, uv damage and bird mess etc. Ive used one outside for perioids of time and the van has always got wet, but its stopped water gathering in areas such as door shuts. On a westy the luggage rack area will become a small pond!
I'd suggest regular removal on dry days to air the van and remember they are not a garage! :)

Hi,

I brought a cover from 'hamilton classics',

Excellent value (£170 i think), its had wind and rain on the van has always stayed dry. I have even put it on whilst wet but the cover let any moisture out as it is nice and breathable.

I did get sent one that fits tintops but later got a replacement one to suit pop-tops

Well worth the investment.

I've contacted Pro-Tec about a group buy and they seem willing to offer a discount. I'm tryng to get confirmation from them as they seem willing to offer a discount to EarlyBay rather than a bulk buy.

I'll update when I know more. The covers will still be pricy, but there should be a bit something off the price.

just had a quote from pro tec for £370, so any discount off that would be worth while

bought mine from vanfest about 11 years ago ,some bloke made them out of fancy kite material , my westy lives all year under it (for 11 years ) and hasn`t leaked or screwed with the paint . he made it with spare wheel on the front and for the roof , completely waterproof , wish i had his contact details

albatross said:
just had a quote from pro tec for £370, so any discount off that would be worth while
The price I've been quoted is a good percentage less than that, but I don't want to raise any false hopes. I'm supposed to be getting a call back at some point soon.

Baldrick said:
albatross said:
The price I've been quoted is a good percentage less than that, but I don't want to raise any false hopes. I'm supposed to be getting a call back at some point soon.

I'll be up for 1 of these. any idea how long they will take to get them to us??

marcher said:
Baldrick said:
albatross said:

I'll be up for 1 of these. any idea how long they will take to get them to us??
I'm going to chase today and find out what the situation is. Hopefully I'll have an update today.

Hi all

Pro-Tec are prepared to offer a discount to all EarlyBay'ers.

I've spoken to Keith and he will offer a discount of 12% off the purchase price. For a camper this should bring the price to about £334. It is still a bit pricy, but they do seem to be (one of) the best around.

Their web site is: http://www.caravancovers.org.uk/products.php?type=customcovers&view=3

You need to mention EarlyBay when ordering. Any "LateBay"er reading this will have to mention EarlyBay as well :lol:!!!

Admins, can this be "sticky"ed so that it can be seen by the wider community.

Hope this helps a few of you guys...you never know, I might even get one :)!

Latest posts