Van Resto thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agaman

Reaction score
So had a few requests to put up some shots relating to my ongoing resto.
The bus started life with me 18 months ago.
Arrived from Bristol in reasonable nick but neede to be sorted.
So ...stripped back to bare where needed and full repaint in Pastel White over Beryl Green.
Engine out and strip down. Rebuilt with Pertronix ignition, Twin IDF's, and various other mods.
Interior waiting to be done but a few guys suggest leave it empty and run it on the track ... !!!
Will update shortly but for now a few pics.

A few experts will have spotted that we fitted low lights to a crossover bus that originally had high indicators denoted by the smaller badge mounting area on front of bus.... sorry to the purests but she is a '72 and anything goes ...!!!

p.s
Wheels one off customs by Image in Birmingham....

more pics to come and i may do a thread on the strip and rebuild of the IDF carbs as these are the IDF 82 and 83 model which have some interesting differences to a IDF 70

IMG_0145_zps158fa499.jpg

IMG_0141_zpsbcd4ba89.jpg

IMG_0140_zpsb80a04f4.jpg

IMG_0142_zps40c3c2ff.jpg

IMG_0176_zpsb167140a.jpg

IMG_0177_zps939e0759.jpg

IMG_0180_zpsacfd105f.jpg

IMG_0249_zpse9b8886f.jpg

IMG_0248_zps366491f1.jpg

IMG_0245_zps1f8b6d14.jpg

IMG_0241_zps8a9e4bc6.jpg

IMG_0239_zpsfe70ac36-1_zps6abc2355.jpg

agaman said:
A few experts will have spotted that we fitted low lights to a crossover bus that originally had high indicators denoted by the smaller badge mounting area on front of bus.... sorry to the purests but she is a '72 and anything goes ...!!!

72 crossovers had low lights at the front and big rear lights and square air intakes so its right apart from the small badge :)

Looking good - nice looking bus.

Trikky2 said:
agaman said:

72 crossovers had low lights at the front and big rear lights and square air intakes so its right apart from the small badge :)

Looking good - nice looking bus.

yep you are spot on....

Great to see some more pictures of this Bus..!!!! 8) 8)

I used to have a set of IDF's like those, the idle jets are in the top rather than the side :)

K@rlos said:
I used to have a set of IDF's like those, the idle jets are in the top rather than the side :)

Yes.... spot on Karlos

After much searching around internet and reading the Weber guidebook i finally found that the 40 IDF 82's are in fact the same as an IDF 36 but with 40mm barrells instead.
Gaskets are not available to suit so i had to modify 36's.
The biggest ball ache was the air bypass screws which because Weber were asked to fix them by the customer ( Alfa i believe) they were sealed and fitted with expanding brass split screws which had seized in place. Had these machined out and then i fitted IDF 70 air bypass screws and locking nuts.
After having carbs Ultrasonically cleaned and ensuring fuel enrichment circuit was correctley closed i now have these babies balanced and running sweet.
Will put up the final jetting settings once rolling road has been visited.

Wanted to ave American Salt Flats but stud pattern would not fit so went for deep rim Rostyle type to connect with 70's style bus

agaman said:
K@rlos said:

Yes.... spot on Karlos

After much searching around internet and reading the Weber guidebook i finally found that the 40 IDF 82's are in fact the same as an IDF 36 but with 40mm barrells instead.
Gaskets are not available to suit so i had to modify 36's.
The biggest ball ache was the air bypass screws which because Weber were asked to fix them by the customer ( Alfa i believe) they were sealed and fitted with expanding brass split screws which had seized in place. Had these machined out and then i fitted IDF 70 air bypass screws and locking nuts.
After having carbs Ultrasonically cleaned and ensuring fuel enrichment circuit was correctley closed i now have these babies balanced and running sweet.
Will put up the final jetting settings once rolling road has been visited.

I had a ball ache with that too, had to mod 36 gaskets. Never ran them in the end, sold them and got some 44's instead.

Latest posts