Van sounds like its running on three cylinders?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAM

Reaction score
I've checked all the plugs and they're all producing a spark, adjusted all the valves so I know their all correct but it still sounds like a tractor?

Can someone tell me what I should be checking next or what it might be?

Thanks Bam.

Whist it's running you can pull off a plug lead, one at a time, and see if there is any change in the running. If it is running on 3 when you pull the failing cylinder you won't notice any difference.

It seems to make a difference when I remove all of the leads?

And I am just running a single standard carb (...I think?)

What it like when you rev it and is it any different with the choke on

Ok thanks for the advice.

Ill stick some new plugs on to see if that sorts it and report back.

Are the plug leads on the right way round? Sounds like a daft observation but if you are getting a decent spark at each plug it could be as simple as plug lead one and two are the wrong way round. I speak from bitter experience! :)

Rich

toxicbug66 said:
Are the plug leads on the right way round? Sounds like a daft observation but if you are getting a decent spark at each plug it could be as simple as plug lead one and two are the wrong way round. I speak from bitter experience! :)

Rich

They're definitely on in the correct order, it drove fine on the way to my destination it was on the way back that it started and was from starting the van up again?

I have ordered some new HT leads as well so that i can rule these out at the same time as the plugs.

I'm also going to try and tighten the head bolts aswell to see if that helps with the noise as i also seem to to have a bit of an oil leak from around that area (both sides).

Does anyone know if firstly your able to get to the top four bolts to tighten them without pulling the engine, and if not if just tightening the bottom ones (in order, to the correct torque) is ok?

Thanks Bam.

BAM said:
I'm also going to try and tighten the head bolts aswell to see if that helps with the noise as i also seem to to have a bit of an oil leak from around that area (both sides).

Does anyone know if firstly your able to get to the top four bolts to tighten them without pulling the engine, and if not if just tightening the bottom ones (in order, to the correct torque) is ok?

Thanks Bam.

No you can't access the top bolts and no it's not ok to only do the bottom ones.

Oil leaks from round the heads will not be due to loose heads. Likely culprits are the push rod tube seals.

Trikky2 said:
BAM said:

Thanks Bam.

No you can't access the top bolts and no it's not ok to only do the bottom ones.

Oil leaks from round the heads will not be due to loose heads. Likely culprits are the push rod tube seals.

Ok thanks. Ill not be doing that until I take the engine out then.

Do you have a vac advance dizzy? Worth checking all your pipes for a loose or split one. I have had this problem in the past.

Hi,

Did you try plugs? Mine did this once, one plug had closed it's gap until it wouldn't fire. Never did find out why, and never had the problem since, same engine as before. Odd.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks for the input everyone!

Update...

Dizzy caps definately not cracked.

No vacuum advance on dizzy so can't be that either.

My new spark plugs arrived today but unfortunately my new leads didn't (no idea why I didn't just buy them both from the same place), anyways changed all the plugs fired her up and still the same noise.

Hopefully the leads will arrive tomorrow so I can see if its that... fingers crossed. Ill post an update for anyone who may be having similar issues.

Thanks again.

Bam.

It might well be the leads.

If you've got a multi meter do a continuity test on both ends of each lead - I had the same problem as you and after changing everything else it was two faulty plug leads - changed them and she's purring like a kitten - almost :lol:

Good luck with it

Johnny

Latest posts