Van starting problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyncho007

Reaction score
Help needed!

I had problems with my van with the engine cutting out and after the breakdown guy helped me get in back in the garage, he suggested I changed my fuel pump and filters which I did last weekend.

I ran the battery flat during the original problems trying to start it so charged it and now when I've put the battery back in, the van won't start. It doesn't turn over, no red lights come on in the dash and no electrics work such as headlights or radio? :x

The battery is fairly new so assume it's ok?

Suggestions !?.. :?:

If you've got no lights at all, either the battery is still completely flat, or you have a dodgy connection to it, or the earth point.

How do you know it's charged? Running a car battery flat is a quick way to kill it unfortunately and it may struggle to accept a charge after, depending on the type of charger used.

Hi, if you have nothing ie no lights etc you have a very dead battery or you haven't got it connected properly, id check all leads and connections first and then if no joy I would check the battery with a volt meter......you didn't connect it up the wrong way round did you?.....I think (cant prove it and they wont admit it) a garage I used near me did this to mine and it killed my battery also blew the fuse on the stereo and and now I only have one headlight with high beam even though ive changed the bulb???....job for later :x

regards..............kev

Some batteries have a little round window in the top that shows a colour. If can see a green dot, then the battery is charged. My golf battery is on its way out and the battery window stays black even after being on the charger.

take your battery off take it to your local motor shop and get them to test it i had a brand new bosch 063 which failed after 6 months i tried everything youve done recharging etc put a new battery on job done

chris

If you've used a normal charger it might not charge it if it's really flat.

Something like a CTEK 'intelligent' charger might be able to charge it.

Had it the battery on charge all night and still nothing.

Going to take it today to get it tested and see what happens.

Well I went to halfords and had the battery tested and it tested as a good battery? :x

So if it's not the battery not sure what to try next?

Suggestions!!!

The Earth Lead and the positive connector on the battery

here we go pal print this out and follow the instructions ;)

http://www.gingersvw.co.uk/wont-start.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope this helps
chris

Result, took off the earth strap cleaned all the connections with wire wool and miraculusly it fired up! :lol:

Can't believe it was something so simple and why it just happened in first place?!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Next problem is that now the van won't idle and cuts out at junctions/ traffic lights :cry:

Also check the earth strap on the gearbox. It is towards the front on the right side.

Check your idle screw on the carb and turn it (usually clockwise) to increase idle speed

Your idle jet might be clogged up. Don't you turn it outwards to increase idle revs?

Latest posts