Van trying to start itself...!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeME3

Reaction score
OK so just trying to get engine running after lay up (71 twin port 1600). On a fully charged battery 2 weeks ago (previous owner) it spluttered into life and was left on tickover for an hour. When I arrived to collect it wouldn't start at all (not even turning over) and only had very dim lights on the dash - not a major snag although pushing her onto the trailer was a good workout! I did stick a decent battery on quickly which resulted in bright lights and the ability to turn her over but no sign of life. Then...took the key out...walked to back of van....and she was still turning herself over on the starter! Double checked....no key in ignition! Reached in to disconnect the battery the terminals of which were almost too hot to touch so guessing a short somewhere causing a permanent live to the starter motor. A quick check of the original battery on a meter confirmed it is dead so my assumption is that when it started it ran happily but in fact the battery then sat there and got killed when it was drained by the starter motor staying live.

So, just cos I'd like to spark her up and get the fluids and air moving again, any top tips on where I should start looking for the short(s)? I've got Haynes wiring diagrams (what fun!) but practical tips about where various wires touch various bits of metal would be great! Thanks all, have a great weekend 'on the buses'!

Latest posts