• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Van Wanted £5k

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobster

Reaction score
So with the addition of a little one to the family I'm now on the lookout for Bay window, unfortunately on a budget.

I'm after a RHD poptop, it must be on the road and ideally solid. It would be nice too if it had a camping interior but the underside / bodywork would be more important, and all this for 5k.

The question is is it possible ? Im scouring ebay nightly but it's such a gamble as more often than not due to auction times / work commitments and distances it just aint possible to view and it's a lot of money to gamble away !

Im just wondering if what Im after is achievable or if not what can I expect for that amount (the trouble is I've been into v-dubs for a good while and can remember when 5k would buy a LOT of van !).

Any advice would be great. As I say, Im looking on ebay, vzi, autotrader etc.

Dont think you will get much for £5 k - have you ever thought about a T25 ?

RHD, solid with conversion might find it a bit of a tall order.....

Your probably gonna be better looking for a microbus or panel requiring a fit out, atleast you should get good steel for that.

i cant see you getting an early bay for that, not in RHD any way.

also be carefull if you get a panel van, they dont come with seat belt mounting points. I would look for a T25 untill you can stretch your budget a bit, or go LHD, you may get one then.

good luck

Mark

p.s. be careful on ebay, there is a lot of filler and shit welding out there!

Have a read through the "New Boy, just started looking for a Bay" thread -
tells the story for you , but got to say RHD seriously limit's your choice (and
therefore cost level). Have you tried http://www.dubs4sale.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; gives you a feel for range of prices - £5K means you will have work to do though....so total cost >>>> ?. Cheers -.JIM.

As the others have said you are going to struggle to find everything you want within your budget if you are looking for an Early Bay in particular.

Bear in mind that if you are looking for a RHD Poptop then you are looking for a Devon, Danbury or Dormobile if its one from the UK, if you want a Westy you will have to look further afield to one from South Africa and with shipping costs at the moment you will be looking at more like £7-£8K for a bus that will still need some work (Check out Scott Wilson on here to see if he has anything due in)

Does it have to be RHD?, you will find that most people are comfortable driving left hookers in this country it only really causes a problem with the Westy 3/4 wardrobe set up but most people manage OK.

Got a westy tintop due in a couple of weeks and know of a very nice Pop top westy thats waiting to be shipped from the US but you are looking at about £9.5k for that on the road,

Cheers people, have to admit all of the above pretty much confirms my thoughts. I'm quite happy with LHD although the missus is unsure. I'm guessing I could persuade her though for the sake of a solid bus !

TBH, although I would prefer an early bay I would even consider a late (although this is obviously not the right place to be stating that :lol: ) as it's primarily to camp in comfort at the various shows as we're finding it a bit of a aqueeze travelling down in the Ghia now.

AxlFoley said:
p.s. be careful on ebay, there is a lot of filler and shit welding out there!

I can certainly second that with some of the crap i have seen the last 3 weekends

My 69 was less than 2000 euro ,I found mine on a French forum ,look on forums rather than e bay...

I would want a pre 71 westfalia with full service history mint inside and one owner before I parted with 5 grand... :mrgreen:

Dandaz

Either you are winding us up or you haven't seen Early Bay prices recently, £5K will struggle to get you anything decent these days

Hi Bobster, LHD is no problem at all on UK roads, I didn’t even have to get used to it, it was that easy (sorry I did clip a central island on the way back from the dock, but that’s the only time :oops: ). I’m sure the misses would find it no bother at all.

I know ALF has some issues pulling out on slips roads etc in his LHD panel split but that’s a panel. My microbus with full windows is a breeze, the only thing I think would be a problem as Graham L said is if you had a back cupboard giving you a blind spot.

I’m just up the road from you, call around and ‘have a try before you buy’, I’m sure theres a car park big enough for your misses to get behind the wheel and have a go :lol:
(oh shit what have I just said. :( )

If it changes your mind about LHD, then you’ve loads more options.

Was gonna suggest seeing if you could try a lefty so Macs offer is a good one plus you get to meet a fellow Bayer ;)

Also you may want to consider a tintop with an awning as loads of people seem to use ( i do) saves you lugging around a big heavy poptop when your not out camping :roll: gives you a bit more choice.

Graham L said:
Dandaz

Either you are winding us up or you haven't seen Early Bay prices recently, £5K will struggle to get you anything decent these days

Sounds like a challenge... :?

You may find some random dood who doesnt know what they have selling a westy in "mint" nick for under £5000 but anyone who knows anything about vans will be wanting a whole world more than that :mrgreen:

I bought mine for under 5 grand but it certainly want what it is now ;)

Mac said:
Hi Bobster, LHD is no problem at all on UK roads, I didn’t even have to get used to it, it was that easy (sorry I did clip a central island on the way back from the dock, but that’s the only time :oops: ). I’m sure the misses would find it no bother at all.

I know ALF has some issues pulling out on slips roads etc in his LHD panel split but that’s a panel. My microbus with full windows is a breeze, the only thing I think would be a problem as Graham L said is if you had a back cupboard giving you a blind spot.

I’m just up the road from you, call around and ‘have a try before you buy’, I’m sure theres a car park big enough for your misses to get behind the wheel and have a go :lol:
(oh shit what have I just said. :( )

If it changes your mind about LHD, then you’ve loads more options.

Cheers Mac, I was talking (ie trying to persuade) the missus last night that it wouldnt be a problem. She still really doesnt fancy one. Im off to look at a RHD hopefully this weekend but if no joy I may just take you up on that.

Its not impossible.... I bought this for £4500.........

RHD, walkthrough, full camping interior, MOT'd till next Feb, serviced and on the road...

6370_127812369807_754489807_3084519_523547_n.jpg

6370_127812389807_754489807_3084521_4793605_n.jpg

6370_127815434807_754489807_3084574_5508281_n.jpg

......but that being said it certainly took a long time to find it. If you have the money and the get up and go to just race off and grab one wherever it is when you find one you may eventually get lucky but even at this level you will defo need to complete some sort of work on the van.

In the meantime, all the time you are waiting you can add a bit more to the financial pot along the way!

£4,995.00 on Dubs4sale.com (3rd one down) - in Devon,
I've no idea how good / bad -but if you are looking.....?

Latest posts