Vent speakers?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll be interested to hear how you get on. Could definitely do with an improvement especially as mines a panel van and is quite noisy in the back.

@Ben72Bay Interested to hear your thoughts once fitted.

I have a sub under the buddy box so lack of bass wouldn’t be an issue in the cab, current door speakers seem a bit weak.
Think their main aim is simply to lift the sound closer to your ears, up from the footwell. Easier and neater than high level tweeters at the top of the A pillar and no need to hide a crossover somewhere!

Didn’t know these were available - seem a great idea.

Watching with interest for f
I’ll be interested to hear how you get on. Could definitely do with an improvement especially as mines a panel van and is quite noisy in the back.
agreed - watching with interest 👀

Sound like a great solution!

One could alternatively fit roof-mounted or A-pillar mounted speakers, which would be even closer to one's ears. Some sound deadening on the reverberating body-panels might also be a useful investment, especially in a panel-van.

Personally speaking, I would wish to retain the air-vents and have some additional air-vents directing cooling air at the midriff, crotch, thighs & calves, during hot, humid weather; unless I can rig-up a decent air-conditioning system for a modest sum!

I fitted tweeters and some 6ins speakers in the plywood roof panel just behind front seats, 6x9s in the bed base, still cant hear that well as its a noisy panel van!!

I went this route with the dash speaker, scrap piece of aluminum plate and two 4" speakers
I have 6.5" in the kick panels too, but the wind noise drowns out most of the sound at highway speeds, especially when the vent is open

2365768.jpg

I can understand that this migh
https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/...o-speakers/7-x-5-dual-voice-coil-loudspeaker/

I fitted this dual voice speaker under the dash. It replaced the old factory speaker. This adds to the door speakers which weren’t enough on their own.

t not be loud enough for rear seat passengers, but in my family's Westfalia Continental, the Javelin mono radio (VHF plus long, medium & short wave) with single speaker in the dashboard top, was loud enough in for front-cab seat occupants.

328338.jpg

Japanese made, Javelin 9044, single-speaker, mono radio (serial No. 2090540), with Long Wave: 150~280 kHz; Medium Wave: 540~1600 kHz; Short Wave: 5·95~6·2 MHz; VHF (aka FM): 88~108 MHz, which was originally retro-fitted in 1975, to my family's British specification, 1973 VW 1600 Type 2, Westfalia Continental campervan.

The radio also featured a 6-pin DIN socket for a tape player or recorder connection, the option of 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker impedance and push-button pre-settable radio stations

I have since chosen to replace it, with a mid 1980s vintage, Blaupunkt Toronto SQR46, four-speaker, stereo radio & audio-cassette player, which also features SHORT, medium & long wave bands, plus FM (aka VHF).

I don’t often have rear seat passengers anymore. The speaker set up isn’t really loud enough for them though, but it’s fine for the front seat passengers. I imagine those with younger kids sitting in the back would have their own ICE with headphones perhaps listening to their own music.

Think their main aim is simply to lift the sound closer to your ears, up from the footwell. Easier and neater than high level tweeters at the top of the A pillar and no need to hide a crossover somewhere!

Hey @Ben72Bay - Have you fitted the vent speakers yet?

Noticed them popping up on Instagram quite a lot - Just wondering if they'd be suitable as the only speakers to use?

Noticed them popping up on Instagram quite a lot - Just wondering if they'd be suitable as the only speakers to use?
Even with the two 4” I have in the stock speaker area, you get mids and highs but very little bass from the small speakers. I added two 6” in the kick panels and the helps a lot with the bottom end

Hey @Walt , no not yet - the bus isn't at home at the mo, so not easy to pick off the smaller jobs - might try and install them this week if I have time! I think they are designed as a 'fill in' rather than a sole speaker - although of course, something is better than nothing! If you didn't want any speakers on show at all you could fit these and then two small ones under the centre dash top maybe? that would give you 4 up front as a starting point, with none visible.

I bought a pair on the recommendations here.
Fitting in series with my existing Focal door speakers was straightforward, and they fit nicely in the side vents.

Soundwise, yes there's not a lot of bottom end, but they definitely enhance the overall sound clarity, and I have the volume down one notch too.
Bass is provided via the existing door speakers still.

Some air passes through them - obviously not at the same levels as without the speakers - but there's enough cold air from the lower vents.

Definitely a good buy IMHO.

I get pretty decent sound. Also there is a single vent speaker but it's disconnected as wasn't balanced with the other speakers. Looks pretty trick and you can't really see it when looking in the bus. IMG_2237.jpegIMG_1327.jpeg
img_1326-jpeg.9484
img_2058-jpeg.9485

Attachments

• IMG_1326.jpeg
    IMG_1326.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

Latest posts