Vintage Speed Shifter - Berg wins!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davydomes

Reaction score
This is a long shot - but has anybody been able to compare the old VS shifter (the one that proved problematic to fit for some - including me n vinvan) to the more recent design. We are told that the new design is much better. Can anyone confirm this from experience?

Never have and never will rate vintage speed stuff. The shifters are mega money for something that’s no improvement in shift quality in my opinion. For that money you can get a CSP. Even the £90 empi/hurst is a better product

Myvanway said:
BERG...... DONE! :mrgreen:

This-^^^^^^

I had a CSP for a few years and was very happy then went for a Berg which is epic

Agreed - Berg are the best, just get one direct from the States. Ordered mine and it was here within 10 days. Fantastic bit of kit

Think mine was about £265-270 from Berg posted. How limebug charge £450 I don’t know :shock:

The vintage speed is £210, is as sloppy as a stock shifter, a pain to set up and snap in half. Awesome....

Davydomes said:
K@rlos said:
Think mine was about £265-270 from Berg posted. How limebug charge £450 I don’t know :shock:

Was the £270 inclusive of any UK Customs charges?

Mine came without any customs charges at all - straight through, although others have been caught.
Suppose its the luck of the draw

Well, I've got the VS fitted with the titanium shaft & rotational stop tabs, which I presume is the new one you refer to, had it in over a year now and no problems.

I've seen a couple of the berg ones fitted, and there not for me. The VS IMHO is better engineered for the most part, only the rotational stops that could've been designed better; but set them up properly and they work as they should.

Nevermind, just seen that they've gone to a pull up shifter collar design now, which removes the need for the rotational stops. It should be even better now.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

All I’ll say is you’ll never see a Vintage speed in anything fast, If something is truly great it will be seen at the track. That’s why all fast vws both bugs and buses will have Berg, CSP or Bug-tech. That goes for much more that just shifters too.

Vintage Speed stuff looks pretty but that's where it ends. I'm baffled by all the VS exhausts I see on performance engines, nothing is going to strangle your motor like a VS exhaust.
As for shifters, I was at a show and a guy asked what I thought about my CSP, I said it's the best I'd had (I've currently got an Empi, Scat and Berg sat in the garage, for sale soon) and he went on to tell me how his VS shifter broke while he was in the south of France on holiday and he had to be recovered, with his bus coming home 3 weeks later. The fact that they have a "version 2" should be a huge red flag! What was wrong with version 1? Berg shifters get the best reviews and are superb,but I prefer my CSP. The Scat, with a slight tweak, was excellent for the price.

Yes it's RHD, it was only on for about 2000 miles, it's a great bit of kit like everyone says, I just prefer the CSP. It's £195 posted, they're £350 at Limebug, cheaper if you get them posted out from USA direct but is a lottery if you pay import tax or not, and best yet they won't break like the VS ones. No worries if it's not for you, now I've taken photos I can always whack it on Facebook.
b0b42878a370f4b616994f514319519d.jpg

c331948fc783879a5278f7924281bced.jpg

2b9a1b949e4c3bd835e9fd9591f4769f.jpg

f8b6756fe316c550e2f53e9d6dccf10d.jpg

a24d78334051e528101717e4ef518d7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts