Vintage speed shifter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookie

Reaction score
I’m thinking of making a serious investment into a new vintage speed shifter for my van can anyone let me know what they think?

When I had my beetle I used an empi one which worked surprisingly well for an empi part and the equivalent one for my van is much cheaper so what do you think peeps?

Vintage speed or the cheaper EMPI?

I have used both the early and late versions of the VS; the early i would not recommend but the late version works really well imho. The design has changed and the reverse is engaged via a cable now. Very smooth operation, i will get one for my Bus when she’s ready to have a shifter lol😁

Abel😃

Overpriced and mediocre like all Vintage speed stuff. Only shifters worth having are a Berg or a CSP.

Bought an early vintage speed and didn't get along with it at all. Got a bug tech now and it's awesome.

I've had 2 VS shifters - an earlier one with a steel shaft which broke after about 6 months when i was trying to enagage reverse, and a later one with a stronger graphite shaft. Slightly better than a stock shifter but not much and reverse was a pain, have to pull up rather than push down - it's a RHD if you're interested. I've now got a Gene Berg, pricey but worth every penny

Latest posts