Vintage Speed Shifter problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlybaynick

Reaction score
HI, I bought a VS shifter at Volksworld last weekend using the show discount. It's now fitted on my 69 westl (LHD) but I cant seem to get it locked in position without the shaft moving where it joins the base. I know its a reverse thread to tighten it but it's as tight as it will go and the shaft still rotates when changing gear so the shifter ends up in all kinds of positions when driving! Anyone else had this issue or got any advice??

yes ive had the same issue - it works loose every now and then - there must be a way to lock the nut but i havnt fathomed it out yet - im sure someone will have a fix

Take it off and clean the threads, apply a medium strength thread lock to the thread and lightly around the lower part of the shaft where the locknut bore sits. Tighten it all back up pretty tight and leave to dry, I did that with mine when I got it a couple of months ago and all has been fine.

The allowable torque on that thread size, which is m12 I think but not 100% sure(check if you can?) is upwards of 60ft/lb if unlubricated so it can be pretty tight to stop rotation.

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

PM'd vintagedan, no reply yet. Can't get the shaft undone now to put thread lock on...floppy gear stick...gggrrrr!

Ok sussed it using this extra bit of instruction....the key bit of info being the reverse thread lock nut going on first and then backing off to tighten it in the normal tightening rotation! Also added threadlock as suggested.

http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/core/media/media.nl?id=14938&c=3504492&h=d917b4fbf192a71724ae&_xt=.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok people...someone must have encountered this...thought I'd got it done but drove van tonight and there is so much play in the gear shifter it's unreal.
The shaft and the lock nut are tight as they will go and thread locked on but there is serious lateral movement between the shaft and the base, cant see any way of tightening it...

If you lift the rubber boot there are two screes under this, wind them both in until the bottom out( very light pressure!) Then back them both off a small amount. Pull up on the shifter and it returns smoothly, if not back them off a little more and try again.

This should reduce the movement to a few mm either way.

See http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/core/media/media.nl?id=15589&c=3504492&h=7cba36d226a83db55dfc&_xt=.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

Latest posts