VW dummies learning basic mechanics?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbus

Reaction score
Hi,
Im new to the VW scene ( just bought my first camper nearly a month ago ) , Ive realised it would help me and my wallet if I knew some basic mechanics, as I have never touched a car engine in my life. . . :oops:
Now you have all got up off the floor, can anyone recommend a book that will teach the basics of maintenace and faultfinding etc.
Please dont suggest the Haynes manual: I bought it, but it assumes you already have a hell of alot of basic knowledge as far as i can see.

There is a book called 'how to keep your VW alive - an idiots guide' which you may find useful.there are mixed opinions on it,it has had many revisions and I personally found the writing style difficult to follow,however others really like it so it may be worth a look.
The best book I've found is the official VW manual published by Bentley,but this is more in depth than the Haynes.

The Internet is really good for beginners because you can ask questions to specific questions.
It may benefit you to get a library book on basic principles of the internal combustion engine and build your knowledge up from that.

Hth ;)

Hi Redbus

You can't go too far wrong with these two, I'm no mechanic but I've sorted lots of jobs out using Bentley and Muir :)

Bentley-1copy.jpg

Good luck :mrgreen:

I'd endorse the two books already mentioned, being a novice myself the John Muir book is both informative and great fun to read.

Also, some of the more experienced guys on this forum organise a weekend or two each year to 'show and tell' us novices. I have not been able to make it yet, but I will. Search for 'techenders' for info.

I'm a lady novice and having done little to no real mechanics before a few years ago my wallet also got light and I decided to give it a bash myself. I'm now building a 1776 engine, this forum is a great starting point as are the books recommended. :D

Hi all,
Thanks so much for all your help, I will certainly buy both of those books to help me get started.
(I didnt expect such a quick response !)
Im sure I will be facing a very steep learning curve. . .

Latest posts