VWH Window lift channel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starbiscuit

Reaction score
Replacement part from VWH after the original had rusted in two. It's not been on the bus long.

I had to squeeze it up with mole grips after it popped off the glass within a day or two of fitting originally. I painted it and re-fitted it, the plastic door liner, the door card, the door furniture...

Now it has failed again during MOT when the technician wound the window down, and I assumed that the same thing happened again.

But no; it really is cheaply made rubbish. Spot welded with virtually no penetration. It can't cope with the friction of the new window felt channels I fitted, also VWH.

byq-0cmZAE6-ulfWZlLw4M-14k2KETE5CsqStaHWutlfOW4Tb-4hVB0rwGS2nEYzlMYmRe4GshAp-BYo5sMVi5J1WpcauPQxzv5BJ1BgvtFiQQM0WvlcFCmCqirj0LFJVpqIR6M5Pw=w358-h636-no

Just cheap Chinese crap, just a tip when you re fit it, spray the new channels with silicone spray makes the window move a lot easier

Thanks for the offer.

I ended up welding it myself with a borrowed mig, rather than leaving the door in bits and van unusable, or reassemble it broken until I could get a replacement part. It really doesn't look pretty, but no-one will see it and it won't snap for lack of welding....

I made sure the glass runs up and down fairly easily before reassembling, and I guess we'll see how it goes.

I'm just a bit fed up of replacing broken/worn/missing OG parts on my van with parts from reputable suppliers only to have to re-do the job within the year. So far:
- steering drop link
- heater cable end bellows
- washer jets
- fuel pump (x2)

I am quite sure that for a *little* higher price, the parts could actually be decent quality and fit for purpose.

It just takes one of the VW parts suppliers to decide to exit the race-to-the-bottom on price (and therefore quality)

Totally agree with you, I soon will need petrol tank breather pipes the rubber ones, where to get good quality ones from I just don't know. this is not a job which is easily done again if they fail. I would also be willing to pay extra for ones that should last my lifetime, senior citizen of a number of years. Good luck

I had the same problem, have now bought the german quality from C&C -much better made, longer and with decent welds. Also replaced winder mechanisms with genuine use ones from guys on this forum as the p.o.s pattern one on the offside failed after a couple of winds up and down. As Vinvan says well worth applying some silicon grease too.

I rust treated my old one and re-used it but it kept coming off. I used black silkaflex sticks like crap stuff and has been good so far.

Latest posts