Walkie talkies, anyone using them?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiDev

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
Going on a European road trip in August with a mate and want to be able to talk from one bus to another, walkie talkies would be easier than phones and wouldn't cost anything, but are they any good? They would also be useful for the kids when they go off at the campisites on their own here. Has anybody got any experience of them, is there anything i should look out for or avoid?
Any advice very welcome!
Si.

Haven't used them myself but friends did last year and told me they were great and that, as you say, they were also useful for the kids when on site.

I bought some a few years back on eBay for peanuts. They were ones used by skiers, so worked over a good distance and we're rechargeable. Definitely a good idea. I'll be using mine again this summer on a road trip to France.

I got a really powerful midland set from the USA, the range is 38miles in real situation with buildings obstacles probably about 5-6 miles. they are the pro ones with ear piece. It was a really good buy and worth the money (about £60 + postage from usa).

https://midlandusa.com/product/t71vp3/

T71_VP.jpg

I 'borrowed' some from my old work, just cheap bit like these

$_35.JPG

Work off a battery pack (3xAA's) and have a 3mile range,

In reality in built up areas they still work well

We used to give one to our trainee on a Friday for ordering dinner from the chippy and that was nearly a mile away :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys, got a few sets on Amazon I'm interested in, reviews seem good too, just need to make sure they are rechargeable (not just batteries) and that I can recharge them from a lighter socket.

They'd be fine for camp sites but what's the legal status for use when driving ? I know cb's are different but would these not fall under the same laws as using a mobile phone if you get caught ?

Walkie talkies are great, technology means they now work well and don't cost much. Problem comes when buying a set of four but five vehicles travelling together, but as said, brilliant on site for the children/wayward spouse etc.
CB is the dogs on the road, cannot fathom for the life of me why hardly anyone uses them? A few of us have on euro trips, absolutely priceless for the 'Services 10k ahead, anyone need petrol/a poo/coffee etc'. Along with the ' That was the wrong junction you tw*t/where the f*ck are we?/I'm sure I can smell petrol...'

Latest posts