washer bottle aggro

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super-craig

Reaction score
filled the washer bottle up on the 68 and put 40 psi in it , and i ended up with a big puddle under it :shock: checked the tube for leaks and found a small split about 2 inch from bottle outlet , so snipped it off and put it back on , filled up again and 40 psi in bottle all well 8) well for 20 minutes anyway :shock: water started running from under nearside door (lhd) and from under the dash around the ignition switch :shock: dried it all off with an hair dryer for an hour , checked if all was ok and found the hazards on front only flashed on offside but when on indicator it flashed , so i presume the relay may have got wet and shorted , so with everything ok apart from the hazard problem i went out in it , it all worked ok until i wanted to start it again , all the lights came on dash but wouldnt start , no click or anything , not sure wether its down to the ignition switch getting wet or a sartter motor problem :? after an hour or so we tried to move in on to road and bump it down hill , we rocked it ready for moving it , but decided to try the ignition again , the thing fired up :shock: 8) :?

I had this recently at Stanford Hall, most likely to be the feed to the stater motor according to those in the know, mine did exactly the same, all the lights on the dash but nothing, 10 minutes later it started fine. Its something to do with the drop in voltage reaching the SM especially when the engine is hot. Aaron suggested fitting a relay to boost the power but I need some more guidance on this, Aaron are you reading this :?:

By the way I may be talking utter b*****ks but sounds like the same thing :mrgreen:

Sounds to me like your problem is as Graham suggests, but IMO hot start relays are a way to get around a problem – they do not actually tackle the problem. That is too much of a voltage drop occurring in the circuit that triggers the solenoid, which gets worse with heat. I’d suggest you are better off trying to find where excessive drop is occurring and rectifying that instead. A good start would be to check and clean the connectors in the circuit – primarily the connection to the starter itself.

thank you for the replies 8) been under it today and checked the connections and found the positive (red) wire with the female spade connector was slightly loose , cleaned the terminal and squashed the connector in a touch to get a tight push fit , use to get this on fords of the 80's , they use to have a black plastic thing with a in-built spade connector , we use to cut em off and use a run of the mill blue female spade 8) not sure wether this will cure the 68's problem , if not i will have to check the rest of the circuit :?

You are quite right the hot start relay cured a known problem with the ignition system hence Bosch produced a relay kit to overcome this problem.

The length of cabling and losses associated with it and the various connections was always a problem. Sometime early last year the subject came up and I posted the VW part number for the relay kit, but in reality any relay capable of handling the current draw will suffice.

Try this

relay.gif

Latest posts