Water by side of my front seats

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberdyne systems

Reaction score
My van (westy) has been parked up outside for a few months and not a lot going on with it, but its now back on the road. I have noticed I have a lot of moisture in the area just under the seats, right by the doors in the foam under the rubber which was particularly damp. And its gone down onto the cab floor too.

I'm guessing has come in through the doors as they hang over this area when fully shut. Obviously water can get in by the window seals but how is it making its way to the rubber mat that sits on the wheel arch where the seat mounts? I noticed the drivers side doesn't have its plastic sheet to protect the door card, also there is a small hole on the underside of the door - don't think its a drain hole as the passengers doesn't have it, so that could help explain that side. But the passenger side is also damp and that doesn't have this hole that the drivers does and its protective sheet is fitted - although there is a secondary flap of plastic for where the air vent would be in a different model and it was sticking through the hole not tucked into the door cavity, so again that might explain things? I'm going to dry it off and try to observe it, but has anyone else had this issue?

Gareth

I do every now and then but it's mainly cos I fitted average door seals rather than good ones. Also u need to put some plastic in the drivers door and try and plug that hole.

Doors are designed to let water though the window seals, it runs down and out of the bottom. Ensure the rubbers are all good, the membrane is all in place, including the flap, and ensure the door is empty of crud and leaves and the drain holes are clear - apply wax throughout the door innards.
I did all this and it still gets in a bit :lol:

Sounds to me like the door rubbers!

Hope you trace the leak soon!

well i bought supposedly the 'best' rubbers from status and i have the same problem.

i have also checked and they are seated/fitted correctly. as its my first van i have just accepted it, is this not right then?

so perhaps contrary to belief aswell as the poor service the rubbers are also poor :roll:

i had the same problem before i stripped the van and it turned out to be rust/crud stopping the door from draining. When the door slammed water was dripping into the cab and rusted the section where the floor meets the arch quite badly, it had obviously been happening for years.

curly head said:
well i bought supposedly the 'best' rubbers from status and i have the same problem.

i have also checked and they are seated/fitted correctly. as its my first van i have just accepted it, is this not right then?

so perhaps contrary to belief aswell as the poor service the rubbers are also poor :roll:

Have you had a problem with service from Status? I am getting a bit concerned as I paid for my seals 2 weeks ago... granted Barclay was very kind and allowed me to pay in parts and he has been ill. I am getting a bit concerned though?

Sorry to hijack your thread, I had the same probs with my last van but that was because it was f**cked :D

type2tattoo said:
curly head said:

Have you had a problem with service from Status? I am getting a bit concerned as I paid for my seals 2 weeks ago... granted Barclay was very kind and allowed me to pay in parts and he has been ill. I am getting a bit concerned though?

Sorry to hijack your thread, I had the same probs with my last van but that was because it was f**cked :D
in a word yes, the service was shit.

i ordered full rubber kit mid december and the majority of it turned up quickly. after 2 months of waiting for certain items ie window rubbers and cab door outer scrapers i had no choice but to source elsewhere as the restorer we was using was losing his patience. rang c&c who had the same make rubbers and scrapers in stock (viewib) and got a next day delivery.

again after more chasing finally got my refund last week from status.

i will never use again which is a shame as generally good quality stuff and i like to give my custom to family run businesses.

also now the van is pretty much finished i hope i dont have to buy much more as i have a sprog on the way and could do we keeping some money in my account!!!! winge over but you did ask :lol:

Cheers for letting me know curly :) They were broken into in November so, to be fair, I guess it took some time to get stock back. Luckily I am not ready for the seals yet but it would be nice to know when they are coming so I can organise someone to be here to take the parcel, he did say they would be posted Monday so hopefully they will turn up today :)

Latest posts