Welcome along

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy

Reaction score
Nice to be welcomed to the forum along with the others.(after posting pics in say hi here and faces with bays)After nearly twenty years of owning my 68 earlybay.com is proof i'm not completely nuts.Nice one!Would be good to talk to any of you if you see us out and about Norfolk.

PICT0429.jpg

thats a nice looking van youve got there very clean..i always thought owning a vw van meant youre as mad as a box of frogs ...welcome to the clan.... :lol:

Welcome to EB, stick some more pics of the van up so we can all get a look at it!
must be quite an early early if its on an F plate?

Hello and welcome, looks like a nice honest well used bus 8)

hello aswell from deepest norfolkshire :D

looks like a nice bus man and i am not going to ask what the bucket is for!!

john the horse.

Howdy :D

Nice looking van - is this the one you have owned for 20 years - nice :mrgreen:

Hello - nice looking bus :)

Was round your way over the weekend - just got back from camping at Sandringham - nice part of the world and always looking for tips on some nice sites around that way!

Thanks for the comments.The van is a june 68 but build date of april so an early right hand bay.Have been trying to get on the road agian after lots of repairs.Not in perfect nick but with the rat look all the thing i'm encorraged to not worry about the dents rust repairs tears etc and use it again.I've had some non vw campers but this one i had first and have held on to.Its a love hate thing.The bikes fold flat and go on the roof rack and my daughters bike went in the back.This is too much effort need to get a bike rack for the back any recommendetiond?The bucket is for the sink waste.The van is a panel van conversion dont know who but to be honest most of it is now my doing i put on the pop top and have made an interia will post some pics.Hay lard these pics are at Searles of Hunstanton a good place to stay for a family was the Queen home?

PICT0428.jpg

chippy said:
The bikes fold flat and go on the roof rack and my daughters bike went in the back.This is too much effort need to get a bike rack for the back any recommendetiond?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry - no I dont have any recommendations for you. I looked at the Fiamma bike rack but didnt like the way it attached to the rear door since it looked like the wrap round clips would prevent the door seal from stopping rain from entering - on top of which the rack and hence the bikes sit very high up.

I also looked at a low bike rack but that required the fitting of a towbar meaning lots of extra weight, reduced ground clearance and it would probably foul my one off exhaust.

I have recently been looking at cheap folding bikes to store inside instead but they still take up a lot of space and will get seriously in the way when making short stops, like for lunch etc. plus I am uncertain as to whether these folders are any good to ride - I remember not liking the "Moulton" small wheeled bikes of a few years ago wheels too small, wobbly, bumpy etc.

From what i can see your bus looks really nice and original are there more pics of it here.The reg are very close maybe they rolled out at similar times.We have not discused yet.Is that single silencer very quiet i have a bugpack twin quiet pack and it aint.Trikky2 i had reached the same conclusion.Here are a few interia pics of my efforts so far.

PICT0452.jpg

Day time

PICT0457.jpg

Cooking

PICT0466.jpg

Bed time

PICT0473.jpg

Over cab bed

Hi Chippy, yep, my quiet pack is a bugpack and it's not all that quiet.I think our buses are a bit apart on the production line as mine has a Jan 68 build date, they may be from the same dealership though, somewhere in South London I think (HX suffix).

Here's a link to the thread http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23607&start=0&hilit=going+grey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Thanks for link your bus is looking good.No van is ever straight foward is it.

Hi There

Thanks for the pics, looking good - nothing wrong with drum brakes eh ?

Can you show us some more on the cab bunk please ? 3 little ones => lack of sleep space !

Cheers

JS

Drum brakes no servo,steering box,no anti roll bars,some small amount of engine power and surrounded by every combustible material known to man.Just pack spare pants and have no time agenda its all good.

PICT0511.jpg

Brakes where we're going we don't need brakes

The cab bed is a bit over engineered but has worked well so far.It has 2 bars and 3 boards which when made is just about big enough for my 11year old daughter if she lays corner to corner.We joke if she gets too tall she will have to sleep with the window open to put her legs out.

PICT0494.jpg

PICT0496.jpg

PICT0497-1.jpg

PICT0499.jpg

PICT0500.jpg

PICT0501-1.jpg

PICT0502.jpg

Hi Jon the interia came about due to the lack of anything really in the van left to work with when i got it.So off to the builders merchant for ply wood screws and hinges.Tryed to get to most out of the space.

PICT0479.jpg

PICT0477.jpg

Including a loo for night time emergencys.

Thansk for the cab pics - there's sure some meaty looking brackets for the cab bunk -not sure I would be up for welding them in myself..

Hmm chemical lavvy ? What's wrong with the seaside bucket that I get my toddlers to use ? :shock:

Cheers

JS

Latest posts