Welded Fans????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frisco69

Reaction score
Just fitted a welded fan I got from JustKampers. It's an Empi one which I didn't realise until it arrived.
Problem is it's buckled. If I spin it by hand the run out looks to be a good 2mm at least.

Is this common with welded fans or have I just been unlucky or is it down to the fact it's an Empi one?
I've not tried it in the fanhousing yet but I reckon it's going to hit.

I'm thinking tig welding my stock one and sending the Empi one back!!!

Matt.

Yep, trash your Every Mistakes Pass Inspection and TIG weld your OEM fan. Dont forget that it spins higher than the crank!

Bye

viNce

kombiporsche said:
Yep, trash your Every Mistakes Pass Inspection and TIG weld your OEM fan. Dont forget that it spins higher than the crank!

Bye

viNce

Cheers Vince.

Why do you mention the fan spinning higher than the crank? Anything I need to be aware of besides not putting in too much wire?

I'm getting a little fed up now with parts suppliers not being upfront about the EMPI stuff. So far everything I've bought that has the name EMPI on it has either needed some sort of modification to make it fit or I've just thrown it straight in the bin.

I'm gonna try and get a refund on this as it is unserviceable!!!

Matt.

had a stock replacment one at work and that was wonkey :roll: ,expecting to pull some revs then? it might need balancing ,tig weld it and you wont need much wire,but it might distort.Ask the drag race boys ,sure to put you right.

mattd1984 said:
Can I ask a silly question, why do you need to weld your fan?

The engine has been built to rev to 9000rpm. It's restricted to 7000rpm though but even that is quite fast so a welded fan will ensure there is no chance of it coming apart at high revs.

67panel said:
had a stock replacment one at work and that was wonkey :roll: ,expecting to pull some revs then? it might need balancing ,tig weld it and you wont need much wire,but it might distort.Ask the drag race boys ,sure to put you right.

A friend of mine at work is an absolutely awesome welder so he is going to weld it for me. He'll put the same amount of wire as near as damn it on each weld. I'm 99% sure he can weld it with out any distortion.

Yes it will pull some revs. It already has in fact with a stock fan and it's always on my mind that it might let go. I need some more numbers on my speedo now :shock:

Frisco69 said:
mattd1984 said:
Can I ask a silly question, why do you need to weld your fan?

The engine has been built to rev to 9000rpm. It's restricted to 7000rpm though but even that is quite fast so a welded fan will ensure there is no chance of it coming apart at high revs.

a stock fan would probably explode at those RPMs. I have a welded balanced fan from berg, they took a stock one and straightened balanced and welded it. Its only a 2065cc but is built to rev a bit. and i was contemplating going turbo at some stage

IMG_0569%20(Small).JPG

not cheap but it will last.

Got my mate at work to weld my stock fan last week. It's spot on so I'm very pleased with it.
Should have done that in the first place. :roll:

Latest posts