welding issues!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sackmcgannay

Reaction score
i may need a whole section of the chassis welded..

its the part that runs to the front of the van - they form a sort of "Y" shape and strengthen the whole front..

I have checled and you can buy the full section as a repair panel.

I would undertake welding jobs myself - but have never done anything like this before so wondered if anyone has done this repair and/or
would know how much i could expect to pay a pro welder to do it for me?

it looks as though either end there is solid metal to weld to..

thanks for any help.

rowan.

where are you based?

.. have a look through the restorations in the gallery to get an idea ..

The chassis is a good place to start learning ( after the bench obviously ) ..

Buy a Mig ..

I bet 50% us on here learnt to weld on our buses!

Hilly

Its a double edged sword ...

Chassis welding has to be good with deep penetration :shock: so shouldnt be a first job, maybe.
On the other hand for a beginner, welding nice thick metal is much easier then trying to weld a cheap brazilian repair panel to a ground down rusty edge.

have had a quote of 300-500 pounds to repair this section!

I'm not actually a total beginner at welding and do have my own mig welder already.. therefor this quote does seem to be a lot!

what do you think?

cheers, rowan.

sackmcgannay said:
I'm not actually a total beginner at welding and do have my own mig welder already.. therefor this quote does seem to be a lot!

what do you think?

cheers, rowan.

Id say have a go ... whats the worst that can happen? Youre not happy with the repair so you get it redone, only having wasted some time and consumables. If you get it right, youve saved a bunch of money, fixed your van and increased your skills and confidence. :)

Hilly_70 said:
The chassis is a good place to start learning ( after the bench obviously ) ..

After you've throughly practised welding in the vertical and overhead positions and checked your achieving good penetration.

Welding clean steel in the flat position on a bench ain't welding!

Latest posts