Westfalia Curtains and interior colours

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yachty

Reaction score
Usually all at sea and three sheets to the wind!
Me mum has volunteered (no, honestly :D ) to make new curtains for me bus.

What I want to know is, did Westfalia's come with curtains from the factory or just the tracks?

If they did, has anyone got any links to examples of the original curtain material?

Also, after doing a search on here, it seems some buses came with a track around the cab area and some came with press studs. Was this a Devon v's Westfalia thing? I have press studs at the moment but like the idea of having a track and am looking for more info.

Finally, my Westy's birth certificate states it came with Dark Beige Upholstery. Is this referring to the cab area only or also the rear bench seat/bed. Anyone got a pic of a dark beige interior?

Thanks in advance ;)

Regarding topics on Westfalia interiors always find this site very usefull, although it's German but lots of documentation:

http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-westfalia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The code for upholstery on your M-plate refers to the cab seats only in Westies.

yachty said:
Thanks guys ;)

In that case UB, am I correct in assuming all early bay westy's had the yellow/mustard vinyl/leatherette material on the rear bench, buddy seat and rear facing seat?

I´m off to read up on it. Cheers :D

As far as I know Westy's destined for North America all had the mustard upholstery, but some European models had a blue or brown plaid fabric.

Thanks UB, I was wondering because I´ve seen a couple of Westy's on the net with brown vinyl rear upholstery and was wondering if that was the "Dark Beige" Obviously not :D

Anyway, those links above have answered pretty much all my questions so thanks guys. ;)

Hi mate, here are some pics of my 1970 bus.

The cab curtain is one piece that attaches via poppers to the front panel, whilst the cab side curtains are on rails

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

There are 3 tie backs, 2 on the slider side and one on drivers side (LHD). There are 2 on the rear held together with a set of poppers.

039-1.jpg

They left the factory with mustard vinyl unholstery, with gey fleck lino floor. The Continental was the UK version that came on the then new Late Bay model & and these had mustard fabric furishings

Hope this clears a few things up, and if you have the OG curtains, look after them cause they are worth a small fortune!

Just

Hey Just

Nice one mate. Thanks for that.

Yeah, I have the original Cab curtain but unlike yours, it is in one piece and poppered all the way around the cab, including across the doors. It also has machined slots in it for the Cab Cot bars to pass through.

Unfortunately, thats the only original curtain I have but will keep my eye open for more. No rush......ride height first ;)

Hi there yachty

Mines a 71 westy with OG mustard vinyl, grey fleck floor, but came with no curtains, so I got a repro set from here:

http://www.volkswagencampercurtains.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they are a pretty close match if you can't find a OG pair

IMG_3003.jpg

Andrew

yachty said:
Hey Just

Nice one mate. Thanks for that.

Yeah, I have the original Cab curtain but unlike yours, it is in one piece and poppered all the way around the cab, including across the doors. It also has machined slots in it for the Cab Cot bars to pass through.

Unfortunately, thats the only original curtain I have but will keep my eye open for more. No rush......ride height first ;)

Yea they seem more common, I had one a few years ago then sold it on.

Dolly daydream on here sells repro sets.

Just

yachty said:
Cheers Mister. Are they the "Olive" material they have advertised?

No I think you might have to ask for them, as creationblue said, dolly daydream on here is the person to ask for. She did advertise them in the parts for sale section a while ago so try a search.

Andy,

My SO67R Westy came with the darker brown leatherette upholstery in the back. I think it may be a South African thing.

I've got a couple of the original curtains as well somewhere, but they were in poor condition IIRC. Shame I didn't read your post yesterday as I was up at Larry's and could have had a look for you and brought them to VW.

Regarding the front curtains, I think that 68 and 69 had the three piece curtains up front and then from 1970 it changed to the one piece pop-snapped curtain. The dates may be flexible though.
Ive the rails in mine for the 3 piece and I have a front screen piece but I use a one piece for now. :)

An OG one piece curtain is 'about' £100, I reckon you need about three of them to make a full set of curtains.

Latest posts