Westfalia trailer restoration. FINISHED! Now for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwuttonmoon

Reaction score
Picked this up a couple of months ago...

P1060114.jpg

Chassis stripped down ready to go to the powder coaters...

P1060550.jpg

Good to see this, got one last year and intending on doing the same!

Keep the pics coming?

What you doing about the wood, sanding or replacing??

Turkish said:
Good to see this, got one last year and intending on doing the same!

Keep the pics coming?

What you doing about the wood, sanding or replacing??

The wood is useable but I want to replace it anyway.

The swing arms where a right bugger to remove from the axle, had to get them hot enough to soften the nylon bushes before they would move. New ones have been ordered from WestyTrailers.com

3 of the screws (or clumps of rust as I like to call them) would not budge and sheard from the alloy rack uprights so need to drill and tap a thread back in.

I will keep pics a coming as I go :mrgreen:

Will all be worth it though, I'll be keeping track of progress but do need a kick to get mine started!

So I am now getting the urge to get cracking on mine.

I am happy to have a crack at it but not massively mechanically minded happy to strip and put back together but not sure what to expect. It looks simple enough but any hints and tips folks?

And should I paint or powder coat??

If I did it again i would powder coat but I only had a week to strip paint and rebuilt b4 the bus came back from the paint shop. That said its easily touched up with paint. The steel work is fiddly lining everything up but then it's just rivet rivet and rivet some more 8)

I just need to sort out a lock now

Turkish said:
So I am now getting the urge to get cracking on mine.

I am happy to have a crack at it but not massively mechanically minded happy to strip and put back together but not sure what to expect. It looks simple enough but any hints and tips folks?

And should I paint or powder coat??

The only troubles I had are what I mentioned with the swing arms and alloy rack, but looks like creationblue didnt have the same problems. If you're painting you dont need to strip it down as far as I did.

Thanks for all the comments and sorry to hi jack the thread but this has proven very usefull.

What bits will i need to get in preperation, the suspension rubbers have all been replaced and i will order some of the nylon bushes as mentioned but anything else??

What wood should i be using??

Latest posts