Westfalia Transformation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8ballbug

Reaction score
Right bought a tin top (had to be a tin top) used it a few times withe kids ad decided what a waste of time, but still did nowt about it until now thought it needed a bit of tlc sosent it of for some welding and a respray oh and got a new westy roof painted aswell.

So this is how we first had it spayed before

bus.jpg

started striping it

02022008010-1.jpg

02022008012.jpg

05022008034.jpg

05022008033-1.jpg

some of the welding needed inside
DSCF4675.jpg

DSCF4672.jpg

DSCF4671.jpg

DSCF4791.jpg

DSCF4792.jpg

Si (Roadrunna) giving a helping hand
DSCF4793.jpg

bus005.jpg

bus006.jpg

had belly pans on it didn't even dare take them off before i sent it off was dreading the phonecall from charlie (chap who welded and sprayed it) but ened up only needing 4 jacking points and off/side outer sill that was it all over bar a couple of tiny repairs. Got a new drivers door and sliding door.

will get pics of under floor put up soon

then came the nasty bit 'cuttin the hole in my tin top' bonus is that my boss is a sunroof fitter
so me and him headed down charlis armed with a early bay sunroof section, cuttin tools and no measurements. got a template made then measured up the roof (spent an hour just re-checking it)

time to close your eyes :shock:
me boss cutting off the middle waste
29032008147.jpg

'b' post roll bar removed and hole cut
29032008146.jpg

sunroof section bonded in place and held by jacks ready for support brackets and 'b' post roll bar to be welded up
29032008148.jpg

roof in place
29032008149.jpg

edge liquid metaled to get clean finish
31032008160.jpg

on its way back to fellow hubba dubba club member nic's (lemonyellow)

bus001.jpg

bus002.jpg

back in the garage with westy roof rested on top
bus003.jpg

putting bits on now and stone chipping underneath and hammeriteing

bus008-1.jpg

bus010-1.jpg

thats it for now off to stanford hall tomorrow to get measurments for the mounting hole for the westy roof and find a splitty beam for narrowing well and loads of other things

Looking very nice 8)
Will be a credit to you and your buds when it's done :D

Cool! I'm liking the Black Westy theme, right down (or up to) the black painted Pop Top 8)

Simple but very effective 8)

the later ones were a hole of some sort but the earlier ones were a sunroof hole and it gives me all the support in the roof after cutting a dirty great big hole out which saves me having to think of something else to support the thin roof skin

Gadget Boy said:
8ballbug said:
the later ones were a hole of some sort but the earlier ones were a sunroof hole and it gives me all the support in the roof after cutting a dirty great big hole out which saves me having to think of something else to support the thin roof skin

Ohhh :wink:

don't quote me on that but it all looked right when i was typing it :D

8ballbug said:
jenna_uk22 said:
looking well nice! cant wait to see it. you think you're gonna be ready for skeggy?

should be, if all goes well tomorrow possible get it mot'd monday and come club meet in it 8)

oooo i'll look forward to it! got Hasthespaz coming over from Tamworth with his bus all fixed up nice too. weathers sposed to be good too although i'm expecting rain about 4-5 :lol:

Latest posts