westy top box fitting?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holio.cornolio

Reaction score
My Westy pop top has 3 out of the 4 clips for fitting the top box and the sort of hangery bracket at the rear, but having looked at the fixings I have no idea how the top box would hang from them. The van came without the topbox, and I reckon it would be a handy storage space, so was going to put together a new one, but I have no clue as to how the hang it. Does anyone have any pictures or instruction on how to fit a topbox? Hopefully you all know what I'm talking about...
Also, assuming I get it made up and fixed up, how do you go about hanging curtains round it over the rear quarter?
Cheers

holio.cornolio said:
My Westy pop top has 3 out of the 4 clips for fitting the top box and the sort of hangery bracket at the rear, but having looked at the fixings I have no idea how the top box would hang from them. The van came without the topbox, and I reckon it would be a handy storage space, so was going to put together a new one, but I have no clue as to how the hang it. Does anyone have any pictures or instruction on how to fit a topbox? Hopefully you all know what I'm talking about...
Also, assuming I get it made up and fixed up, how do you go about hanging curtains round it over the rear quarter?
Cheers
Or top cupboard as they seem to call them on eBay...

I can't accurately remember what was in your bus but I know it had the early style sink unit we swapped out so its likely it didn't have a top cupboard, early westies 68 & 69 came with a luggage net instead.

Normally to hold a top cupboard up theres an angle piece on the nearside of the bus that it slides onto, theres a bolt that goes through the other side into the wardrobe top and then its held at the rear by 6 screws.

I think I've got a spare one somewhere in the unit but will need to check

Graham L said:
I can't accurately remember what was in your bus but I know it had the early style sink unit we swapped out so its likely it didn't have a top cupboard, early westies 68 & 69 came with a luggage net instead.

Normally to hold a top cupboard up theres an angle piece on the nearside of the bus that it slides onto, theres a bolt that goes through the other side into the wardrobe top and then its held at the rear by 6 screws.

I think I've got a spare one somewhere in the unit but will need to check

That makes a bit more sense. In the bus there are 3 metal claws (with a hole for a missing one) which are screwed into the sides. It makes sense that a net would just hang on those. I had in mind some sort of bracket arrangement on the base of the box would clip in to those, but they make far more sense as net hangers. Just need to find an extra one now!! I have a net in the boot of my car which will probably be a close to perfect fit if I can get another one of those claw chaps. Or I might just build the box anyway.
Cheers
Matt

Latest posts