Westy, Westy, Westy...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Oakley

Reaction score
More photos and memories from the Oakley archive...

I knew very little about Westfalias in 1997, other than they were allegedly the most sought after conversion. I also knew that Westfalia never sold early Bay RHD Westys in the UK. So imagine my surprise when I stumbled across a '71 RHD Westy in the Luton Autotrader. The ad read "Good condition, £1500 ono." I went to have a look and was amazed to find out that a) It really was a genuine RHD early Westy b) that it had never been welded and was all original except for c) the lower half of the van had been resprayed the week before 'to make it sell better'. Point c was quite disappointing as it had been an original paint bus in VERY nice condition. Nevertheless, I made an offer and drove it home there and then!
The Westy had been owned by the same chap for a good number of years. It turns out that it was a South African import in 1974 (hence the 'M' reg plate). I think the guy I purchased it from was the second owner.
It was a top bus and took me to Europe and back. Wish you could find them like that now for under £1500!!
71westy1.jpg

71westy2.jpg

71westy3.jpg

I saw this bus a few years ago parked up on the sea front at Woolacombe in Devon, now painted Turquoise.

I shall briefly skip over my next Westy as it was a late model (the only post-'73 VW I've ever owned, and I've owned over 100!). It was the biggest restoration I have ever tackled and it took three years to complete. NEVER AGAIN!
Before...
body1.jpg

After...
body64.JPG

The next Westy, a RHD '70 model landed on my doorstep courtesy of a contact in South Africa. It was still in original paint, never welded and as straight as any you'll find! The original non-walkthrough RHD interior was all there too- just like the Red '71 above. Nice bus, but I really do prefer my Dormobiles and Danburys.
I really had trouble selling this bus in Spring/Summer 2006. Absolutely zero interest at £7000. In the end, I ended up giving it away!
DSC04529.JPG

DSC04532.JPG

DSC04479.JPG

Dsc01204.jpg

Some lovely buses - you really are one heck of a lucky guy ;)

Let me know the next time you're having to give away a bus - I might be able to take it off your hands :lol:

Rich Oakley said:
I really had trouble selling this bus in Spring/Summer 2006. Absolutely zero interest at £7000. In the end, I ended up giving it away!
DSC04529.JPG

Now thats bizaare isnt it,imagine no interest in that beautiful lowlight,reckon you could sell it a few times over today.Seems everyone wants a lowlight these days. :D
Steve.

Latest posts