What are my options? (Distributor, Carbs?)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

Reaction score
Hi all

I've commented on a separate thread, but yesterday I got by bus rolling-roaded and I'm a little disappointed. It drives OK, but I'd have expected better for the £ I've spent :(. I also have a horrible flatspot at take off revs. :( :( :( .

I have a new engine and new carbs, although the distributor is an unknown.

My engine is standard but bored out to 1776 cc and I have twin 40mm Solex's. These came from VW heritage but seem to be unbranded solex's.

The distributor is a 009.

I have a staggering 65.5 BHP although the engine builder said it was good for 75 BHP.

What are my best options? I'm guessing a new distributor (as everything else is new). Is a 123 worth the money? New carbs?

Maybe I just have to suck it up and live with what I have.

Thanks in advance...

Andy

is the BHP at the wheels or flywheel?

the carbs seem big for a 1776cc engine, what cam do you have, do you have a lightened flywheel?

what BHP do you want to get to?

stand dizzy with vac advance should get rid of the flat spot, do you have points or electronic igintion?

uber cool said:
is the BHP at the wheels or flywheel?

the carbs seem big for a 1776cc engine, what cam do you have, do you have a lightened flywheel?

what BHP do you want to get to?

stand dizzy with vac advance should get rid of the flat spot, do you have points or electronic igintion?

Are the carbs single or double choke?

If they're the ones I think they are, they're what was known as Kadrons, which I've run on a 1600cc engine without issue before.

Baldrick, did the carbs come jetted correctly? Did the rolling road/tuner check the jetting of the carbs before balancing them?

I'd go with a Vac/mech advance distributor, but that's likely not the cause of the BHP figure, only possibly the flat spot.

My successful mini-racing mate tells me that many rolling roads are set up to exaggerate the BHP because makes their customers happy. It took him a fair while to find one that was accurate which is essential to him. Maybe you found one of the odd honest ones? ;)

mmm not sure about them i think they are for the type 3 engine ive got twin 40 kadrons on a 1641 and it goes really well 009 with electronic ignition slight flat spot when its cold but no biggee so a 17 should pick its feet up no probs these are mine they seem bigger http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Carb-kit-EMPI-Solex-40mm-TP-kadron_act_shop.product_pID_53150_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .... :? yours look like there for a single port looking at the inlet manifolds... :(

Latest posts