what are the best engines to buy and where from

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongy

Reaction score
ive just poped my 1.6 single port engine out to paint the engine bay.ive never ran the van and dont no how good it is so ive desided new engine :D ,i want it to be as reliable as posable and have a bit more umffff just to get me up the little hills a litttle easyer .whats in yours and how good or bad is it?ive heard the remtec's arent very good is this true?
and that the brazilian ones are a safe bet,its a 68 :D

hello mate, i have a remtec engine and have had it in for over 5 years without any probs atall. Even when i took it to the rolling road the guys there said that I had a very strong engine, and they looked over it with a fine tooth comb. 8)

This is obviously only my opinion and experience but i know loads of people in my club who have them and have never had any trouble atall. 8)

bit of a can of worms where engines are concerned
remtec are pretty good and have a full years warrenty, more chance of getting problems sorted with them than some of the other companys.

1776 if you have the dollars, but a 1600tp with small twin carbs would be great.

any one got one of the 1641 street power or street power 2s, are they worth the extra?

1641 engines arent great for a bus as the barrels are thinner and over time they may warp. I wouldnt say that you'd notice a huge difference over a 1600. 1776cc would be ideal, depending on what you want from your bay.

Considering the money you'd spend on a reconditioned Remtec, I reckon you'd be better of with a brand new 1600 Brazilian long block.

Can of worms time. I replced my standard 1600 with a REMTEC 1641 and noticed a huge difference. Have had the engine for 2 years and have had no problems with it. Can highly reconmend it. Got mine from vwheritage.

Hmm - I'm in a similar boat. My current engine is shot - peeing oil like there's no tomorrow (which there may not be for it at this rate). Someone recommended a Brazilian (engine, before anyone starts) - apparently you get 10,000 miles guarantee with them?

I was about to post this same question re replacement engine so will watch with interest. Being totally non mechanical I was wondering if a larger engine (eg 1700cc up) would need a different gearbox from the standard one or would the standard one be likely to need attention sooner

ive just bought a brand new en from gsf ,and its perfect,its like a new en :lol: oh yes thats right it is :lol:

What size engine did you go for in the end? What did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

i put a standard 1600 in mine it came with a years warante and cost £1050,

VW was very smart when they fitted the 1600 Single Port to the early VW Busses. The single ports are less prone to cracking between the valves with the added weight and heat from a heavy bus. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Twin port 1600 was introduced to combat US smog laws which sucked the life out of an engine.
My favorite Bus engine would have to be a wierd combination of parts. I'd use a 74 stroker crank and stock 85.5mm Pistons and barrels, with single port heads and Dual Kadron carbs and a quite pack exhaust. That way you get a bit more torque ( Hp won't move a bus much faster, they weigh a ton and have the aerodynamics of a brick) with stock heads, and if you are lucky no case machining if you get a good crank. The dual carbs will liven it up with a free flowing exhaust. Now I'm sure this engine won't apeal to everyone but it should last quite a few miles and return favorable petrol mileage. Oh and a SVAC distributor no 009 for me.

Latest posts