Whats my engine ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippysteven

Reaction score
Hi all, im thinking about a full engine rebuild and im not 100% sure what engine I have. Its a single port Mexico stamped block which came with my imported 1970 swedish bay.

I was told it is a 1600 when i bought it but I spoke to an engine builder recently and he said he had never heard of a 1600 single port. I cant find any information online about mexico blocks so im abit stuck.

The engine code is - B 355 974X

If anyone can shine some light on this i would appreciate it! I just need to know the engine size amd maybe the year mainly so i order the correct parts.

Thanks

Steve.

They definitely made a 1600 single port. Not sure i'd trust that builder's advice :)

Post up a piccy and we'll help further!

Without the "X" (for a revision?) the engine is:

Model year : 1970 Type 1
Period : 01.08.1969 / 31.12.1969
Capacity : 1,6 L
Power : 34 kW / 47 PK

Happystamps said:
They definitely made a 1600 single port. Not sure i'd trust that builder's advice :)

Post up a piccy and we'll help further!

Solid information & advice right there! Obviously that engine builder is not familiar with VW aircooled engines ... so you'll be taking your chances if you hire him for the rebuild. Just because the engine may have originally been a 1600, many of these engines have been rebuilt and bored out so it may no longer be 1600cc ;)

The thing is, it runs like a dream but the only issue is a small oil leak from somewhere around the rear fly wheel because its dripping off the sump. It also has oil underneath the inlet manifold which I cant understand.

So all in all its due a good service i think. Ive decided to tackle the refurb myself with the help of VW DARRIN on you tube :)

Then roll on september for cornwall and france road trip! The ferrys are booked so failure is not an option!

Hippysteve.

hippysteven said:
The thing is, it runs like a dream but the only issue is a small oil leak from somewhere around the rear fly wheel because its dripping off the sump. It also has oil underneath the inlet manifold which I cant understand.

So all in all its due a good service i think. Ive decided to tackle the refurb myself with the help of VW DARRIN on you tube :)

Then roll on september for cornwall and france road trip! The ferrys are booked so failure is not an option!

Hippysteve.

Sounds like a rear main oil seal and the o ring in the flywheel needs replacing, otherthing to check is the cam plug whilst you have the flywheel off.

The oil by in the inlet manifold may well be the Oil cooler seals, again for the price of them worth a change too.

Good luck with it,

Alex :mrgreen:

Alex VW Heritage said:
hippysteven said:

Hippysteve.

Sounds like a rear main oil seal and the o ring in the flywheel needs replacing, otherthing to check is the cam plug whilst you have the flywheel off.

The oil by in the inlet manifold may well be the Oil cooler seals, again for the price of them worth a change too.

Good luck with it,

Alex :mrgreen:

Thanks Alex, I will give those areas a good look over before I dive in with a full tear down.

Mines a B code engine as well, single port, but was told it was a brazil engine!
77615fb1b5b8e24664c169f708f3487f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts