WHAT FIRE EXTINGUISHER

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a powder one, evil to clean off but VERY affective, I think the best thing to do is take your lead from motorsport and they all tend to run powder.

i fitted a firetec foam in the engine bay and carry a 3 litre foam in the van between the seats, the reason i haven't used powder is because it's very corrosive and messy if you need to use it - foam will just rinse off should you need to, whatever you do don't carry 2 types and mix the media if you need to use them they do act differently, foam or powder is my choice - co2 seems pointless on fuel fires where petrol could be feeding the flame, it mainly works by removing the oxygen and you need something to smother the fire and cool it so foam suits that well, there's always going to be someone who disagrees but that's my take on it.

rickyrooo1 said:
i fitted a firetec foam in the engine bay and carry a 3 litre foam in the van between the seats, the reason i haven't used powder is because it's very corrosive and messy if you need to use it - foam will just rinse off should you need to, whatever you do don't carry 2 types and mix the media if you need to use them they do act differently, foam or powder is my choice - co2 seems pointless on fuel fires where petrol could be feeding the flame, it mainly works by removing the oxygen and you need something to smother the fire and cool it so foam suits that well, there's always going to be someone who disagrees but that's my take on it.
Ricky's spot on CO2 suffocates the fire but if you still have heat and fuel it's only a matter of time before it disapates and you could end up with a second fire, foam or powder and you should be looking to carry about a 9 kg one minimum at
that

Latest posts