What have you got up top?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Monkey Bus

Reaction score
I've got a pop-top and it seems to have some kind of black rubberised coating on it.

So I was wondering what sort of thing do other people have as it needs replacing or recoating or whatever. The black looks a bit crap to be honest and I'd rather have a white roof if possible.

Be grateful for any help or suggestions

Here's a pic of what it looks like
31_08_07_Canon_004.jpg

mine has that black stuff on it too!! but mines not the whole roof, just patches so it looks real messy. if anyone knows what it is could they let me know so i can either do the whole roof or paint over it or something to tidy it up.

sorry im not much help to you "the monkey bus" but at least you know your not alone with the black rubber stuff :lol:

Jenna

I forgot the name of it, but i have used it on my roof, just around the skylight (so you cant see it) to make it that little bit more watertight.. its like thick brush on paint stuff.. i'll ask my dad for the name

Looks like bitumen paint to me - messy stuff to get off!

Heat gun and scraper, then try some thinners to get the remainder off (be careful not to spill it on your paintwork!).

;)

My goodness, who does that kind of thing to a camper roof?
That 'll be hell to get off.
Get a few decent scrapers (new & sharp!) and you'll get far.
But the roof will need to be degreased thorougly before paint.

It comes off quite easily, it just seems to peel off. That's why I need to fix it. The question is, what do you have on yours instead of this cack. I was thinking of normal paint, but would it be poo with the roof being flat with little or no real drainage and therefore probably retaining loads of water?

I hate to plug them, but Just Kampers used to do a roof cap for the devon pop top. It covers the pop top and makes it water tight as well as looking good.

Just found them http://shop.justkampers.com/index.php/cPath/1_32_233

dubberdaz said:
I hate to plug them, but Just Kampers used to do a roof cap for the devon pop top. It covers the pop top and makes it water tight as well as looking good.

Just found them http://shop.justkampers.com/index.php/cPath/1_32_233

The cap is heavy and you need to buy uprated springs, IMHO it does alter the roof line and looks strange but im used to looking at the OG Devon roof. I saw it in the flesh and didnt like it. theres a cheaper way...

What i would suggest you do is take the crap of it, de-rivet and remove the centre piece and get a larger piece cut to size so it overlaps the edges of the elevating sides.

This way you can remove the floating heart shaped rubber that joins the centre roof that has the skylight to the elevating edges. This rubber is prone to leaking. Use some sealant before you fix this larger piece to the edges. Drill and Re-rivet onto the existing bows and outer edge, you can add more bows if you want for more strength as the roof is prone to bow in.

It doesnt affect the profile, doesnt add any weight and makes the roof more leak proof. If seen this done and it looks very tidy. The inner headlining skin will need replacing but this is simple and cheap as its a square flat piece of vinyl costing a few pounds at most.

you can use coach paint and brush it on the roof, it settles smooth if you do it right and wont look as bad as the balck rubber coating. alternatively get a few rattle cans and primer it then paint it white?

Justin & Mutley said:
Looks like bitumen paint to me - messy stuff to get off!

Heat gun and scraper, then try some thinners to get the remainder off (be careful not to spill it on your paintwork!).

;)

Thats the stuff!

i didn't cake mine in it, just applied a small amount to re seal the roof light.. cant see it otherwise :D

Latest posts