What shocks should i use for lowered van?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemango

Reaction score
Hi Folks :D
I have a 1972 Bus which has been lowered about 5 inches all round (Beam adjusters on the front & two splines on the rear) its currently sitting on its original shocks, the ride feels a little bouncy??? :roll:
Any ideas what to fit?
Where to buy?
Any advice will be most appreciated.
Mike.

Ours has kyb gas-a-just with one beam adjuster up front and a spline or two at the back. Rides great even kept stock tyres :mrgreen:

Sparkywig hit the nail on the head, adjusters alone make for a rough ride. GR-2's or Bugpack red's are the way to go. Bugpacks give a smooth ride but are a bit soft in the bends. Coilovers are ok, I have them on the back of mine to stiffen the rear end up.

K@rlos said:
Sparkywig hit the nail on the head, adjusters alone make for a rough ride. GR-2's or Bugpack red's are the way to go. Bugpacks give a smooth ride but are a bit soft in the bends. Coilovers are ok, I have them on the back of mine to stiffen the rear end up.
Like i said mine aint a rough ride? May because i'm only running one adjuster recommended and fitted by Evil Bens.
Plus stock tyres...thats got to help

Going too low with adjusters only will cause stress on the ball joints which can lead to failure and i didnt want to lose a wheel at motorway speeds with the family in. looking cool is one thing but puting the family at risk is another

sparkywig said:
The ride will be bouncy and harsh if lowered on adjusters alone.
I'm running KYB GR2s, but I'm sure somebody will tell you to fit coilovers.

GR2s and adjusters only yes it gets a little harsh im only about 3.5 inches down and the ball joints bottom out often

ground hugger said:
Trikky2 said:
I mis read the title and thought it said "what socks for a lowered van" :lol:

:lol: that will be slam socks then :lol: Google it :shock:

I did - didn't know they existed.

Will they fit other vehicles too? :lol:

It is most important to get the right length shocks for your van.

With all the weight in the van, so engine. gearbox and interior take the shocks off, put the van back on its wheels and roll back and forth to settle, then measure between the centre of the top and bottom shock mounting bolt hole. This gives a central measurement for the shock and means you'll have a shock that is in the cntre of its travel so it wont bottom or top out which will not only mean you get a better ride but will mean the shock will last longer too. WIN WIN :mrgreen:

ground hugger said:
Alex VW Heritage said:
It is most important to get the right length shocks for your van.

:

Hi Alex what would vw heritage recommend +and - for a measurement of 275mm ?......cheers...Dave

Hi Dave sounds like your bus must be VERY Low, I would think you are best of speaking with AVO in the uk and getting a shock made for your application, they do a coilover unit for vans that low, I am not sure of the exact specification. You may be able to get them through Mark at Autotechnks 01372 878 464.

If the existing shocks are too long and bottoming out it'll give you a false reading.
Remove the shocks, bounce the van to settle the suspension and then measure between the mounting points. This is the centre point of the suspension movement.

sparkywig said:
If the existing shocks are too long and bottoming out it'll give you a false reading.
Remove the shocks, bounce the van to settle the suspension and then measure between the mounting points. This is the centre point of the suspension movement.

Indeed, Spot On Thanks Dude :mrgreen:

Priscilla1969 said:
Hi Alex,
Why do you have to take the shocks off before measuring the distance between the two fixing points?

Try and see if they can look at the specs Mark has had from them as I know he had to try a variety of springs to get the correct poundage. It'd be easier to use his R&D rather than having to do it all yourself as buying a variety of springs can get expensive.

Latest posts