what speed then?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyvanwestybike

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
After 1972
Van Type
79 sunroof deluxe
when your on a run how fast do you go? ( cruising ) i have a stock 1600 and run mine at about 55 -60 max!
wot about you lot :p

My 1600SP hit a genuine 85mph.......................................tho that was on the rollers with no wind resistance :lol: I stick to 70mph max on the speedo tho satnav reads under 60

I find speed depends on a multitide of factors, but most importantly what time of the year it is,

Winter i can cruise at 80mph all day long,

but in the summer i find a comfy 65mph tends to mean when i want to boot it i still have enough head room as it were to be able to,

I ignore pretty much every gauge in the van apart from the Oil Temp, that is what controls my average speed ;)

I can't recommend fitting a decent Oil Temp Gauge and a properly fitted sender highly enough, 99% of the time if a VW engine fails it's due to excessive time at too high a temperature.

Oil starts to break down and degrade if you get it too hot and Oil is the key in an aircooled engine ;) :mrgreen:

alex4057 said:
I find speed depends on a multitide of factors, but most importantly what time of the year it is,

but in the summer i find a comfy 65mph tends to mean when i want to boot it i still have enough head room as it were to be able to,

I ignore pretty much every gauge in the van apart from the Oil Temp, that is what controls my average speed ;)

I can't recommend fitting a decent Oil Temp Gauge and a properly fitted sender highly enough, 99% of the time if a VW engine fails it's due to excessive time at too high a temperature.

Oil starts to break down and degrade if you get it too hot and Oil is the key in an aircooled engine ;) :mrgreen:

I dare say your right, I just prefer not to know.........its bad enough wondering if Ill get there without worrying how hot the engine is too :lol:

if im on the motorway il sit at 75ish acording to satnav.it seems happy at that it will go up to 85- 90 on the sat nav but its screaming its nakers of.i find 60 mph is quick enougth tho and fairly quite.oh its a 1.6 and fairly new but never gets hot even at the higher end

creationblue said:
alex4057 said:

I dare say your right, I just prefer not to know.........its bad enough wondering if Ill get there without worrying how hot the engine is too :lol:

Prevention is better than cure ;)

It's also cheaper to fit a gauge and decent sender than replace a fried engine ;)

Sorry I'll shut me trap now :lol:

Run at about 60 to 65mph, shows 60 mph on sat nav, have lower profile tryes which might explain the difference.

I;m usually not in a rush when driving the camper so happy to sit it this. :mrgreen:

I tend to sit around 55-60, this is speedo speed but as i'm on stock wheels and tyres i assume this to be quite close to reality :lol:

strongy said:
if im on the motorway il sit at 75ish acording to satnav.it seems happy at that it will go up to 85- 90 on the sat nav but its screaming its nakers of.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I drive at 55-60 speedo speed, and I too have stock running gear but this still equates to 50-55 on the sat nav. I used to drive quicker (60-65) but prefered to limit my speed in order to be more economical.

FYI
Speedo / Sat-nav
30mph / 30mph
40mph / 39mph
50mph / 48mph
60mph / 55mph

The above are all according to comparisons between my speedo and sat nav.

alex4057 said:

Can you tell me what sort of oil temp gauge you would fit - and how ?
Thanks

My engine is a VEGE 1600t/p around 40,000miles old with Ignitor electronic ignition in an 009 with flame thrower coil and Weber 34 ICTs.

With regards to MPG the only figure I can give you is an overall figure of 25.4mpg achieved over 15,300 miles round Europe. This ranged from 19mpg to 29mpg per tank full dependant on terrain. I don't have any figures relating to driving speeds.

I must say that while my engine runs well, I cannot say it is set up to its most efficient with regards to ignition and valve timings. I got new valves and guides in the heads before driving round Europe and rebuilt the engine myself - first time I had even removed an engine, let alone rebuilt one, and I never got round to checking the gaps after any run in period - and still haven't :oops:

rev-al said:
alex4057 said:

Thanks

Any VDO style gauge and sender does the trick,

all i meant by proper guage and sender is avoid senders like the oil dipstick ones as they don't read the temperature properly, the sender should be in the sump in one of the pluged holes reading the actual temp of the oil, I've just had a quick search an not turned up much, will try and find a link with more info later today.

I usually go 55mph on the speedo, which is 50mph on the satnav. Maybe im going too slow then reading all the above. Im running totally stock 1600sp. At this speed when i travelled around Europe nearly 6000 miles in the summer i was averaging 30mpg.

My bus will hit 70mph easy but with standard gearbox ratios i've only ever done it once because it was quite far up on the revs :? Nothing special in the back really :1600 tp with Weber 40 IDF's, og Bosch 009, Bugpack header/quite pack exhaust and a set of Scat high ratio rockers. 2 litre box is on the list for this year :D

When M/ways I keep the speedo between 60/65 ,the sat nav reads 55/60 and over 1000 miles it works out 24 mpg on petrol,21 on gas.This is fully loaded ,awning,table and chairs,camp kitchen,cases of beer,boxes of wine,kitchen sink etc :lol: Completly standard apart from Pertronix.

For those that are interested, there is a good tyre size & speed calculator
on the following link

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Put in stock tyre size and the actual tyre size you run & it works out what
your actual speed will be at 70MPH. :D

alex4057 said:
rev-al said:
alex4057 said:

Thanks

Any VDO style gauge and sender does the trick,

all i meant by proper guage and sender is avoid senders like the oil dipstick ones as they don't read the temperature properly, the sender should be in the sump in one of the pluged holes reading the actual temp of the oil, I've just had a quick search an not turned up much, will try and find a link with more info later today.

Ok as the light has faded i have returned from working on my bus and found you some options

I recommend the crankcase Relief screw sensor rather than the sump nut or dipstick style as i recon it gives a much better reading,

As soon as your above 200 on the gauge your starting to get hot, if it gets above 230 then it's time to chill out at about 40mph in 4th, any lower a speed and you won't be passing enough air over it to do any cooling and faster your increasing the rev's so will be creating as much heat as your cooling.

Sender:

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/ca/mia/d/vdo+oil+temperature+gauge+sender+crankcase+relief+screw/pid/6554635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gauge:

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/ca/mia/d/vdo+oil+temperature+gauge/pid/6554633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

I had 110 out of mine with the 3.0 911 and four speed in and that sat at 80 happily
Would like to see 130 ish with new engine and five speeder ;)

you can only go as fast as the speed limit , !!!

i go 60 to 65 and learnt when that loon in the outside lane whose doing 90mph is just getting out of his car when i pull in the services ,so why bother you dont hardly make any time up and the i thought the whole point of owning a vdub was to take life a little easier !!

getting off me soapbox now and going for a bath lol

regards
chris

Latest posts