what speed then?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crede999 said:
you can only go as fast as the speed limit , !!!

i go 60 to 65 and learnt when that loon in the outside lane whose doing 90mph is just getting out of his car when i pull in the services ,so why bother you dont hardly make any time up and the i thought the whole point of owning a vdub was to take life a little easier !!

getting off me soapbox now and going for a bath lol

regards
chris

Point WELL made, but some of us do frequently use the autobahn's of Germany ;)

I drive my bus at 60 to 65mph on the speedo which is 50 to 55mph on the Sat Nav

I feel like this is a safe and reliable speed to drive in a 40 year old brick and whenever I get in the van I feel like, "I'm on holiday dude".

i feel like a rebel after reading all this :oops: .

quote....you can only go as fast as the speed limit , !!!
since when??????????????????? :lol:

im all for enjoying the trip.i tend to find myself trundling to shows but on a sunday im 150 miles from home ,in need of a shower and bed, it just dosent happen.i thought 70-75mph would be the norm with a good strong engine in good working order.sureley it cant just be me that drives at these speeds?

alex4057 said:
I find speed depends on a multitide of factors, but most importantly what time of the year it is,

Winter i can cruise at 80mph all day long,

but in the summer i find a comfy 65mph tends to mean when i want to boot it i still have enough head room as it were to be able to,

I ignore pretty much every gauge in the van apart from the Oil Temp, that is what controls my average speed ;)

I can't recommend fitting a decent Oil Temp Gauge and a properly fitted sender highly enough, 99% of the time if a VW engine fails it's due to excessive time at too high a temperature.

Oil starts to break down and degrade if you get it too hot and Oil is the key in an aircooled engine ;) :mrgreen:
I have fitted an oil temp gauge the VDO dipstick sender type,
and i find it works well, also i only use 30w monograde oil now
in the summer on long runs at about 55 60mph will average about 95c hit a long uphill stretch or too much over 60mph and in no time its up to 110c :shock:
so as you say i back off to around 50mph,
word of warning to those who push it too far the engine will suffer as i found out on the M5,
one minute 70 mph next thing it was BBBuuuuuuuuuRRRRRRRRR! no power lots of smoke (multigrade oil smoke) 1 ruined engine!
:(

I using the dipstick sender too, seems fine to me. When was travelling through France, Spain, Italy. Got up to about 250 / 260 cruising at about 55mph. The hills in Northern Italy the van didnt like. Backed of to 50mph and it came down. Best thing to do was pull over for half hour or so really cools down well.

With a stock bay 65-70 mph on motorways - all day. Vehicle is perfectly happy even in Spain in summer etc.
They were designed to do this. If yours gets too hot then theres something wrong with it.
I have covered over 130,000 miles in the (long) time I have owned mine.

3 years ago I fitted a modified engine because I found the stock engine had become dangerously slow on steeper inclines on motorways. Not because the van was any slower than it used to be but because modern traffic, including huge trucks, are now so much faster and just don't expect to come up behind a vehicle chugging up a steep motorway incline at 50 mph. Only after fitting the modified engine did I fit an oil temperature gauge.

The old engine is now powering a friends Karmann Ghia.

With the new engine overall mpg improved from 23-25 to 25-28.
Oh and I don't know how fast it can go because when I floor it the speedo goes right round against the stop :lol:

Trikky2 : what spec engine you running now?? and gear box?

Westy Richardson said:
1600 tp with Weber 40 IDF's, og Bosch 009, Bugpack header/quite pack exhaust and a set of Scat high ratio rockers. 2 litre box is on the list for this year :D

hey is it a stock motor? 40's are very big over 200 cfm etc .. whats the rationale if it is stock? looking at building a new one for my bus and collecting data on other peoples while i save ..

thanks all

six said:
Trikky2 : what spec engine you running now?? and gear box?

2017cc ported/flowed/3angle/demi hemi cyl head cut. HD springs, bolt up r.shafts ratio rockers, molly pushrods, Engle cam. CR 8.2:1. 90.5 barrels, stroker pistons, counterwt stroker crank, unitec conrods, molly flywheel, kennedy stage2 clutch, twin Weber 40 IDF carbs, fullflow filter but no additional oil cooler (doesent need it) stainless 4 into one header and single quiet pack.

Quiet pack is way too noisy for my liking and I am currently building my own stainless exhaust system to fit onto the 4 into 1 using two boxes. It will look like a twin quietpack but running in series rather than in parallel.

Gearbox is a recon 1600 box fitted with a new 4.57 crown wheel and pinion from the 2 litre gearbox. Gives tall gears with a very tall 4th (about 2500 rpm at 60 mph) - a bit too tall if I'm honest. Great for motorways but a bit annoying having to stay in 3rd in town.

Ok as the light has faded i have returned from working on my bus and found you some options

I recommend the crankcase Relief screw sensor rather than the sump nut or dipstick style as i recon it gives a much better reading,

As soon as your above 200 on the gauge your starting to get hot, if it gets above 230 then it's time to chill out at about 40mph in 4th, any lower a speed and you won't be passing enough air over it to do any cooling and faster your increasing the rev's so will be creating as much heat as your cooling.

Sender:

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/ca/mia/d/vdo+oil+temperature+gauge+sender+crankcase+relief+screw/pid/6554635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gauge:

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/ca/mia/d/vdo+oil+temperature+gauge/pid/6554633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps :mrgreen:[/quote]

Many thanks for that ! nice one
stay cool......!

Trikky2 said:
With a stock bay 65-70 mph on motorways - all day. Vehicle is perfectly happy even in Spain in summer etc.
They were designed to do this. If yours gets too hot then theres something wrong with it.
I have covered over 130,000 miles in the (long) time I have owned mine.

3 years ago I fitted a modified engine because I found the stock engine had become dangerously slow on steeper inclines on motorways. Not because the van was any slower than it used to be but because modern traffic, including huge trucks, are now so much faster and just don't expect to come up behind a vehicle chugging up a steep motorway incline at 50 mph. Only after fitting the modified engine did I fit an oil temperature gauge.

The old engine is now powering a friends Karmann Ghia.

With the new engine overall mpg improved from 23-25 to 25-28.
Oh and I don't know how fast it can go because when I floor it the speedo goes right round against the stop :lol:

sweet! a stock motor that will do 70 all day in the height of summer and go 50 mph up steep inclines i want one! :)

monkeyvanwestybike said:
sweet! a stock motor that will do 70 all day in the height of summer and go 50 mph up steep inclines

"steep inclines" - "steep motorway inclines" - theres a difference :lol:

monkeyvanwestybike said:
i want one! :)

Then get one. If its stock, not overloaded, and in good condition it will be fine. See owners manual for confirmation. Like I said - if it wont do it then theres something wrong with it. :lol:

hi

quote....you can only go as fast as the speed limit , !!!
since when???????????????????

since i got done for speeding last sunday 36 in a 30 lol (got to do a course now lol)

Then get one. If its stock, not overloaded, and in good condition it will be fine. See owners manual for confirmation. Like I said - if it wont do it then theres something wrong with it.

i totally agree with this quote and also when using any vw dub motor you can go up very steep hills at 20mph doing 5000 rpm or do the same hill at 20mph using 3000rpm you have to adjust your driving style to suit the vechile...........

regards
chris

Trikky2 said:
monkeyvanwestybike said:
sweet! a stock motor that will do 70 all day in the height of summer and go 50 mph up steep inclines

"steep inclines" - "steep motorway inclines" - theres a difference :lol:

monkeyvanwestybike said:
i want one! :)

Then get one. If its stock, not overloaded, and in good condition it will be fine. See owners manual for confirmation. Like I said - if it wont do it then theres something wrong with it. :lol:

:lol: :lol: I have a vege 1600 , 34pict3 carb , blue coil ,standard vacuum advance distributor
comlete set of tinware all seals in place regular services i change the 30w grade oil every 3000 miles it does not burn much as the motor has done only 5000 miles ,i dont think theres anything wrong with that motor
The van will run all day in summer at 55-60 mph 95c any more than that and it will get too hot for my liking,
110 c which is too hot! :shock:
and if you had a oil temp gauge on your original stock motor it would have read 110c aswell
me thinks! :)

monkeyvanwestybike said:
:lol: :lol: I have a vege 1600 , 34pict3 carb , blue coil ,standard vacuum advance distributor
comlete set of tinware all seals in place regular services i change the 30w grade oil every 3000 miles it does not burn much as the motor has done only 5000 miles ,i dont think theres anything wrong with that motor
The van will run all day in summer at 55-60 mph 95c any more than that and it will get too hot for my liking,
and if you had a oil temp gauge on your original stock motor it would have read 110c aswell

110 c ? -Yes, absolutely, it would.
However..... 110 is fine. I only fitted a gauge because I run a modified engine and only worry if it goes much above 120.

The millions of air cooled engines sold and used all over the world (including tropical and desert climates) never had oil temp gauges fitted.

It was not uncommon for these vehicles to spend hours ploughing through soft sand, flat out in 3rd gear in the desert heat.

Its only now they have become toys, rather than working vehicles, that the issue ever comes up.

Guages + misconception = paranoia

Don't let the old wives tales and pedants put you off or make you fearful of using your vehicle the way it was intended. I have been in the trade/into aircoolds since the 1960s. I was involved with them when they were new. I have owned one in particular for 37 years and worked for VW themselves in technical and research and planning for 15 years, so I do know what I am talking about. :)

ok ok :oops: i will try and be brave and put the pedal down a bit, but if the engine melts i will bring it down for you to fix! :lol:

Trikky2 said:
monkeyvanwestybike said:

110 c ? -Yes, absolutely, it would.
However..... 110 is fine. I only fitted a gauge because I run a modified engine and only worry if it goes much above 120.

The millions of air cooled engines sold and used all over the world (including tropical and desert climates) never had oil temp gauges fitted.

It was not uncommon for these vehicles to spend hours ploughing through soft sand, flat out in 3rd gear in the desert heat.

Its only now they have become toys, rather than working vehicles, that the issue ever comes up.

Guages + misconception = paranoia

Don't let the old wives tales and pedants put you off or make you fearful of using your vehicle the way it was intended. I have been in the trade/into aircoolds since the 1960s. I was involved with them when they were new. I have owned one in particular for 37 years and worked for VW themselves in technical and research and planning for 15 years, so I do know what I am talking about. :)

I think the problem is that there are fewer and fewer people who know how to look after and service these engines properly as VW intended. And when we skimp on this or do a bad job there is a knock on effect. Also some of the replacement parts aren't as efficient as VW had planned.

I am happy to plod on at 55mph (without a temp guage) and try my best to find the right people to service it......painful in the wallet at times. The main thing I feel is that I don't compare my bus to my modern (Skoda Fabia VRS) car and treat it with a bit of love and care.

All of the people who I know who have had blown engines are the ones who drive them like they stole them and who service them themselves because "they are easy to work on" and "an idiot could do that".

Drive them and service them as VW intended then I'm sure Trikky is right, and with the experience under his belt we should take note.

faux said:
I think the problem is that there are fewer and fewer people who know how to look after and service these engines properly as VW intended. And when we skimp on this or do a bad job there is a knock on effect. Also some of the replacement parts aren't as efficient as VW had planned.

I am happy to plod on at 55mph (without a temp guage) and try my best to find the right people to service it......painful in the wallet at times. The main thing I feel is that I don't compare my bus to my modern (Skoda Fabia VRS) car and treat it with a bit of love and care.

All of the people who I know who have had blown engines are the ones who drive them like they stole them and who service them themselves because "they are easy to work on" and "an idiot could do that".

Drive them and service them as VW intended.

I agree with all you say.

Your point about the quality of some parts and finding somebody good for servicing (if you can't do it yourself) are very true and something I wrongly glossed over in my post using the term "stock" etc.

It really isn't as easy as I made it sound because these vehicles are now old and have often had many previous owners who may have neglected or modified or used inappropriate parts in the past, so its hard to know what you have got. Theres only a lucky few who have been able to find completely stock un-messed-with vehicles.

The only way to be certain is to strip everything down as in a full rebuild or resto. Theres quite a few very knowledgeable and experienced people in the VW scene who do really good work but I agree they can often be too far away to be able to use them for servicing.

"Drive it as if you stole it" puts excessive strain on any vehicle let alone an old one and is a world away from "drive it as vw intended" or "normally" as i would say and I heartily agree with "treat it with a bit of love and care".

These vehicles are easy and simple to maintain compared to many modern vehicles for somebody who is mechanically minded but I agree its not a case of "anybody could do that" its more a case of "anybody could learn or be taught to do that if they are interested". :lol:

I have seen premature engine failures that could be traced to poor maintenance/incorrect settings, botched repairs and some to "modifications" like using the wrong fan housing/fan or leaving off the thermostat assemly, removing the heat exchangers and not blocking off the heater outlets or not having the deflector plates fitted etc. Often the current owner was not the one who did the "modifications" and had little or no mechanical knowledge, having bought the vehicle in good faith.

I have also seen a few fail due to poor quality reconditioning. Anyone intending to buy a professionally rebuilt/reconditioned engine, if in doubt, would be wise to seek advice on here or Vzi before buying. :)

Am pretty jealous of some of the speeds posted here!

I have a 2lt Air cooled T25 (apologies, etc :D ) and anything over 67 - 70mph feels to much and n fact isnt always possible! I have heard they are almost twice as heavy as a bay.

Latest posts