What tyres for Porsche Teledials?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alwat

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve got a 72 Devon camper which is lowered a bit on an adjustable beam and I’m wondering what tyres would work best with 15” teledial alloys? Cheers

I used to be a little lowered so I’m saying this almost tongue in cheek because I’ve changed attitudes completely. When I was a bit lower I ran with low profile car tyres on the front and convinced myself that they were fine. I’ve now gone back to stockish height and popped on A/T commercial rated tyres and the ride is better and the handling <<< :p :p :p Is good , not Porsche or Ferrari style but noticeably better than when lowered. After saying that, this new ish thing about No MOTs on these vans is possibly giving the insurance companies a bit of a get out clause in future claims as they are in the business of making money and not in the business of being nice to bay owners:rolleyes: If you pop on a set of car tyres or even car wheels, even if you have an MOT, if you get involved in a claim for any reason, I’m pretty sure they’d settle if it was a small claim, but if it was of any significant amount, or they had to send an assessor to look at it , I wouldn’t want to bet on it. All that said, I’ve got fourteens on mine now on stock steelies but mainly because I couldn’t find anything in fifteens that I really liked.:)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,sorry to be a downer, ^^^ lots of ‘ifs‘ though :):cool::)

If the offset is somewhere in the range 35~40 mm, I would probably suggest 195/70 R15C tyres, assuming you're NOT using wheel-spacers and the suspension-lowering is very modest!?! Whenever selecting alternative tyre sizes, keep in mind the effect this will have on overall engine gearing and speedometer & odometer calibration, both of which will affect indicated & actual fuel mpg.

Assuming you have a factory-standard, 47 or 50 DIN horsepower, 1584 cc engine, the factory-standard gearing ratios, with half-worn 185/80 R14C tyres (or other tyre-size like 195/70 R15 of almost identical external circumference), this will give optimal gearing whereby maximum power is attained at the greatest possible true maximum speed, of an actual 68 mph for the factory-standard low-roof bodyshell. If you substitute tyres of a smaller or larger external circumference, then you may expect the true maximum speed to be reduced.

Latest posts