What year is my beetle?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweat69

Reaction score
I have brought a shell and chassis thats been of the road for many years the chassis no is 118119042 it has a fuel gauge thats in the dash dash not the speedo and its dipp switch is in the floor.
Any one any clue? :roll:

68 model year, built in 67 by the looks

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been digging around a few boxes for the car and i have found a number plate reg no xxp356f
so that ties in with the chassis number. :roll:

sweat69 said:
So if was built in 1967 should it have a long nose and 6v wings?
:oops:

Is it Euro spec or US?

I think one had the first year for upright headlights in 68 and one was a year later, but its not my forte ... Ivan McCutcheon from Volksworld is a subject matter expert as I recall on these cars. He owns two, they are considered the ultimate base for a Cal Look car afaik.

:)

sweat69 said:

Does the shell match the chassis? if so you can see the body shape from the shell

A 67 should normally have sloping front wings, long bonnet, and long engine lid but with the (one year only) end squared of (the tip that is)

Is there a chassis number on the body?
The body and chassis are still bolted togather there has been a new front end welded on her for a short bonnet.

Clem said:
sweat69 said:

Is it Euro spec or US?

I think one had the first year for upright headlights in 68 and one was a year later, but its not my forte ... Ivan McCutcheon from Volksworld is a subject matter expert as I recall on these cars. He owns two, they are considered the ultimate base for a Cal Look car afaik.

:)
It's right hand drive :roll:

sounds like a 67 to me ,full of 1 year only parts and as said sort after for the "ultimate "cal look base.so you have long bonnet,6volt chassis,1 year only doors ,locks/handles ,inner handles,engine lid,wheels and caps and prob other stuff i dont know!had one but had to sell as no time to do up,had 23k miles as well from new :roll: but it was rusty.still have a rarer one 1300a ,thats a 68 ,short bonnet ect but on a 6volt chassis :p

Latest posts