CB Radio

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So would this be plug & play or do you need to tune the aerial? Never did understand any of that side of things, probably why mine never worked properly I guess :rolleyes:
Ozziedog for the running info he seems the master on the dial in detail.
I will definitely look at one once my bus is running again.

So would this be plug & play or do you need to tune the aerial? Never did understand any of that side of things, probably why mine never worked properly I guess :rolleyes:
These mini sets are plug and play with a guaranteed VSWR of between 1:5 -1 and 2.0 to one. This is tuning your ariel to the best performance right across the channels , these are base loaded and pre tuned but also not tuneable. I’d still pop the meter on there just to check they are somewhere in the region. An iffy solder joint could bugger it completely so it’s worth checking. This will be more than good enough for what we’re looking for. If we wanted to increase range (DB gain) then we would go for something like Dav has or Easy has and that would multiply your output power and reception too. Tuning the Ariel’s is trying to match the ariel with the frequencies that you’re transieving on and each channel has a different frequency so it’s impossible to make it perfectly tuned to each channel so an average is applied by tuning to the best you can get on your highest and lowest channel / frequency. This is also what the base loading is all about, it’s a winding to match the eleven metres that we’re on or a direct fraction of it, like a quarter wave antenna or a half wave like a home base antenna . Most but not all of the mobile stuff is a quarter wave length. So if you strip one down it’ll be a quarter of eleven metres long ish. With the Westy pop top set up, or any large fibreglass you are never gonna have as good a setup as a tin top but hey Ho.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Yes they’ll be great, chat Sunday bud. :)

K40 is not on the mag mount but a boot lip mount, not sure what is on the mag but its a 1/4 wave. All packed in the motor now for the autojumble tomorrow s will have a look see if the ariels will swoop over on the mounts. £10 to you if it does.

Sold the K40 but it didnt fit the mag mount anyway, mag mount is a good one . still have 3 CBs and gubbing for sale cheap if anyone wants one.

These mini sets are plug and play with a guaranteed VSWR of between 1:5 -1 and 2.0 to one. This is tuning your ariel to the best performance right across the channels , these are base loaded and pre tuned but also not tuneable. I’d still pop the meter on there just to check they are somewhere in the region. An iffy solder joint could bugger it completely so it’s worth checking. This will be more than good enough for what we’re looking for. If we wanted to increase range (DB gain) then we would go for something like Dav has or Easy has and that would multiply your output power and reception too. Tuning the Ariel’s is trying to match the ariel with the frequencies that you’re transieving on and each channel has a different frequency so it’s impossible to make it perfectly tuned to each channel so an average is applied by tuning to the best you can get on your highest and lowest channel / frequency. This is also what the base loading is all about, it’s a winding to match the eleven metres that we’re on or a direct fraction of it, like a quarter wave antenna or a half wave like a home base antenna . Most but not all of the mobile stuff is a quarter wave length. So if you strip one down it’ll be a quarter of eleven metres long ish. With the Westy pop top set up, or any large fibreglass you are never gonna have as good a setup as a tin top but hey Ho.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Yes they’ll be great, chat Sunday bud. :)
The Westy fibreglass roof only covers 3/4 of the van, the rear section roof-rack is open so a mag-mount works a treat

Just unloaded the motor and had a look what is there, Avanti Moonraker ariel on mag mount with boot mount as well. Midland 4001 that has been aligned ,Amstrad cb901, Colt 355 as well as meters, cables a base station power supply and more. PM me if anyone interested.

Just unloaded the motor and had a look what is there, Avanti Moonraker ariel on mag mount with boot mount as well. Midland 4001 that has been aligned ,Amstrad cb901, Colt 355 as well as meters, cables a base station power supply and more. PM me if anyone interested.
The moonraker? Is it a 241 or a 261 ? It should be stamped around the base somewhere I’ll have this if it’s one of those and did you say you had a VSWR meter too? And a patch lead of course :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, I swore I’d never get into this bollax again. :)

No probs Oz ,were you at Malvern show coz I can bring them there.
That’ll be fine. Saturday ? As to where we are, I have no idea as we have three of us going I think and all have different tickets. Once we’ve landed, I’ll get Justin to pop something on the Earlybay to let peeps know where we are. It’ll be somewhere I’m sure.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,it’ll be fine. :)

Update: can’t find that Volksworld CB magazine story- my collection goes right back to issue 1 ! I have seen a YouTube video on installing a CB in a 71 Westfalia: search BrewDub#BrewDub CB radio.

Got my CB stuff today, will try and fit it tomorrow, then I can talk to truckers! It's a Thunder pole T800, was about £100 with the antenna and cabling. 10-4
Don’t key the Mike until you’ve checked / set your VSWR mate.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,I’ll do it for you if you like, just listen for a bit maybe :)

Last edited:
Don’t key the microphone once it’s wired up until you’ve set the antenna properly. VSWR needs to be set really. A lot of the newer stuff claims it’s pre set and that’s as may be but I’m old and I’d still check it first. Never use / key the mike without the antenna connected either bud.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,takes five minutes :)

Latest posts