CB Radio

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got a VSWR meter now and I’ve tried it once but only on a set that had blown its outputs because they’d been trying to use it without a decent antenna on so I couldn’t get any readings of any sort but it did show me the patch lead needs tidying up, probably not been used for a decade or three and solder joints dried out. So anybody needs trimming, I’ll keep him in the van. Whatever you do, don’t key the Mike at all with the set turned on or you’ll do ^^^ and that’s that. I don’t really want to get into repairing them

Ozziedog ,,,,,,,,,,, down on the side,,🎙️

Don’t key the microphone once it’s wired up until you’ve set the antenna properly. VSWR needs to be set really. A lot of the newer stuff claims it’s pre set and that’s as may be but I’m old and I’d still check it first. Never use / key the mike without the antenna connected either bud.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,takes five minutes :)
100%!! Also it changes depending on where it sits on the bus, the radio field will change more forward at the front (better range out the front of the bus) I try to have my magmount with aerial between a 1/3 and a half way on my bus roof in the centre, this seems best for chat in a convoy.

As ozziedog says, SWR the aerial in is a must!

100%!! Also it changes depending on where it sits on the bus, the radio field will change more forward at the front (better range out the front of the bus) I try to have my magmount with aerial between a 1/3 and a half way on my bus roof in the centre, this seems best for chat in a convoy.

As ozziedog says, SWR the aerial in is a must!
Tin tops are the best because of the large tin roof providing the ground plane. As soon as you get into poptops you start to lose efficiency. I’m guessing the best you could get with a poptop is to mount two Ariel’s, one on each side or one front and back or even one on each mirror and then co phase them to make a half wave antenna, this is how a lot of U.S. truckers roll. Funnily enough, the sides of the bus are large but not for ground plane effect. But just for faffing about in a convoy, just about anything will do.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,who else has one ? :)

Latest posts