Whats wrong with late bays?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only arguement I could think of for the late side of the Bay is...

"It's Hip to be SQUARE"

:eek: "I try...to keep a straight face but...it's still a late bay :lol: "

I grew up with a crossover in the family, from new, and when the lates were introduced I remember thinking (as a 7 year old at the time) that a late, with those 'nice' modern bumpers was definitely the way forward. :mrgreen: I also remember thinking, again, at such a tender age, that the earlies looked too 'old fashioned' with those smaller rear lights and half moon vents etc. :lol:
I realized, over the years, that the earlies definitely had the edge over the lates, even though I owned a couple of lates before I bought my current van, a crossover.

I would not buy another late, unless money was no object, in which case as well as my fleet of earlies I would probably like to have a mint Westie Helsinki, or one of those limited edition Silverfish models. :D

Its all about looks if we wanted practicality speed or comfort you'd buy a modern t4 or t5 or what ever! Its all about style and for me late bays have those bigger square lights which just dont fit with the curvy style of the body!

Dont get me wrong every so often I see a late bay I really like but its not very often!

To people out of the scene they cant tell the difference I guess its like Americans thinking all English people are from Landan!

:shock:

having not read the thread thoroughly i say nothing is wrong with them whatsoever. Some of the hardest bays are late. Theres one in autostyl right now that is gonna be the nuts. Check it out on http://www.autostyl.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might be .com or get the webpage from volksworld ads :mrgreen:

froggy said:
you have to pay TAX on them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Depends what country your in ,my 76 pickup is tax free here ,but all the cars are.. :p

If I had to choose between my 69 tintop and the 76 pickup ,it would be ta ta to the tintop... :shock:

Personal preferance... 8)

Out on the track all busses look good 8) my two late's at the SCC last year
losenogblmann.jpg

That double cab looks spot on 8)

I must admit before I discovered earlybay.com I didn't have a clue about bay differences. It was ironicaly a late bay owner who pointed out the lowlight thing and recommended I join this site.
It does sadden me sometimes when folk slate crossovers or dismiss them when looking for a van but everyone's entitled to their opinion and by enlarge its a very valued opinion on here.

Its all about how you see something, I would love a panel van but it would have to be very early 67, 68. I would also love a late westy, properly sorted with a 2L lump and put them alongside my crossover deluxe which I would love to restore.
That would pretty much cover all bases. ( a nice pickup/ doka later too :roll: )

There is nothing at all wrong with a late barring a few styling fopars from VW (ok so health and safety had a hand in it too)....

still the early front panel is just so inviting

Araon said:
There is nothing at all wrong with a late barring a few styling fopars from VW (ok so health and safety had a hand in it too)....

I didn't care for the late bay's either until i got one with plans to resale it.... But it grew on me and I decided to keep it. :p

TexasAirCooler said:
Araon said:

I didn't care for the late bay's either until i got one with plans to resale it.... But it grew on me and I decided to keep it. :p

I've tryed that a few times myselves,bought them for resale,,but they all grow on you,,and now i'm stuck with 5 or 6 of them :D :D :D

Latest posts