wheel cylinder leak

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James26

Reaction score
yo dudes ;) ,

having an issue trying to get my back brakes sorted, replaced all the parts with new ones except for the drums. but when i press the brake pedal it appears only one side of the cylinder is pushing outwards ? and because the other side is not moving the left side pushes so far that it sprays brake fluid everywhere :cry: . any idea why this would happen ? the same thing was happening before i replaced all the parts, so I'm guessing it must be something else causing it and not the cylinder.

Thanks in advance,
James

Hi, I take it you have the drum off when you are doing this.
When you operate the brakes the fluid pressure will push out the piston with the least friction. The other will stay still. When the drum is in place this also happens but as soon as the shoe reaches the drum it will stop & the second piston, & shoe, will operate.
If you want you could try & hold one piston back & you should see the other move when operated.
Refit the drum, adjust the adjusters correctly & then the brakes can be bled & should operate correctly.

I hope this helps,

Phil.

RePhil said:
Hi, I take it you have the drum off when you are doing this.
When you operate the brakes the fluid pressure will push out the piston with the least friction. The other will stay still. When the drum is in place this also happens but as soon as the shoe reaches the drum it will stop & the second piston, & shoe, will operate.
If you want you could try & hold one piston back & you should see the other move when operated.
Refit the drum, adjust the adjusters correctly & then the brakes can be bled & should operate correctly.

I hope this helps,

Phil.

Hi Phil, haha feel like a right tube now :lol: that makes sense ! thanks for your help. I had the drums on but when i pressed the pedal to centre the shoes it was like the brakes got stuck on so i took them off again to have a look.

ok so I'm stuck again :oops: . once adjusting the shoes with the star adjusters (with drums on) i then press the pedal to centre the shoes and my brakes then seem to be locked ? as if the shoes have went out but not back in ? I checked that the shoes were perfectly aligned in the centre of the brake cylinder before placing the drums on, I really don't understand what I could be doing wrong ? :(

James26 said:
ok so I'm stuck again :oops: . once adjusting the shoes with the star adjusters (with drums on) i then press the pedal to centre the shoes and my brakes then seem to be locked ? as if the shoes have went out but not back in ? I checked that the shoes were perfectly aligned in the centre of the brake cylinder before placing the drums on, I really don't understand what I could be doing wrong ? :(

Have you got all the relevant springs in place?

Rear
282559.jpg

Front
285-630x400.jpg

Have you got a couple of mm play at the Master Cylinder before the pedal begins to actuate the piston? Without a bit of play the fluid will not return from the slave brake cylinders and therefore the brakes will lock.

rlepecha said:
James26 said:

Have you got all the relevant springs in place?

Rear
282559.jpg

Front
285-630x400.jpg

Have you got a couple of mm play at the Master Cylinder before the pedal begins to actuate the piston? Without a bit of play the fluid will not return from the slave brake cylinders and therefore the brakes will lock.

yeah definitely got all the springs and things in the right place, Oh no I haven't checked the master cylinder wouldn't be too sure what I was looking for. How do I check for that ? thanks for your help

I had the same problem - very frustrating!

I changed the flexible hose to the wheel and that fixed it!

cooky73 said:
I had the same problem - very frustrating!

I changed the flexible hose to the wheel and that fixed it!

maybe this is my problem too, are they supposed to be flexible? mine are metal

They are metal but there is a flexible bit further on that sometimes collapses inside - worth a go coz they are only cheap

cooky73 said:
They are metal but there is a flexible bit further on that sometimes collapses inside - worth a go coz they are only cheap

Thanks, I will let you know how I get on. :D

Latest posts