When is a Deluxe not a Deluxe?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to view an early bay this weekend - which is advertised as a 67 deluxe, and I'm looking for some advice on what to check/look for.

Here is a link to some photo's of the bus:
http://www.photobox.co.uk/shared/browse.html?c_album=8001387&page=all

From looking at the pictures the usual deluxe features are not evident i.e. belt-line trim, window trim, bumper trim, front-grill trim. It also looks like it has non-opening quarterlights and no clock in the dash.

The seller emailed me the chassis number (228027737) which I think makes it a 67 (68 model year) microbus - but not a deluxe.

A deluxe would be 248------ wouldn't it? Am I correct?

At some point a camping interior (from a 69 the seller thinks) has been fitted - but the usual Westy plate is not on the lower section of the rock-n-roll bed, but instead above the door on the wardrobe. The interior looks like a Westy to me, but the layout is appears strange? Can anybody comment on this?

The bus was imported from Belgium a few weeks ago, and as far as I know it is not registered or MOT'd. It does appear to be fairly solid - but if it's not actually a deluxe - or a Westy - or MOT'd, how much might these affect the asking price (currently £6250).

Thank you,

Mike

If it was deluxe at some stage, they would have had to strip out and replace all the windows with standard rubbers, remove the beltine and front grill trim, the swage line would have had to be welded to fill the fastening holes that the beltline used, bumper trim or overriders removed as well.

Thats a whole lot of trouble to make a more desirable bus look like a standard. I'd say its definitely a standard, with a westy interior fitted like bayview says.

Johnny said:
If it was deluxe at some stage, they would have had to strip out and replace all the windows with standard rubbers, remove the beltine and front grill trim, the swage line would have had to be welded to fill the fastening holes that the beltline used, bumper trim or overriders removed as well.

Thats a whole lot of trouble to make a more desirable bus look like a standard. I'd say its definitely a standard, with a westy interior fitted like bayview says.

agree with Johnny no delux there im afraid :roll:

Mike your right with chassis numbers, deluxe would defo be a 248, normal micro being 228..

cant quite see but that westie id plate looks like it says so 72-4.. and not all the interior is there

would of thought it would be a so 69-

also looks like it was once red and had a blow over so watch it is not hidding lots of dreaded tin worm and filler..

jon

:roll: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the confirmation guys :(

I was kind of hoping it was a deluxe that had been specified with "deleted options" - as I remember reading somewhere that various deluxe features could be specified in such a way when the bus was originally purchased.

But like bayview & 58herbie said, the chassis number prefix also makes it a non-deluxe.

I'm still gonna go and check it out. If only to give me something to compare other buses against :)

This thread makes me think my '67 bay isn't a deluxe! :shock:

The chassis number is 288020910.

It has all of the features that a deluxe has though like the arm rest/fresh air vents in your front door panels, trim round the sides, trim round the windows, full headliner and 2 tone paint.

Unless you could order these things on a standard microbus?

Something else I found from "Original VW Bus" (Laurence Meredith)...

Bay-Window (1967-79) - Chassis Number Dating

Note: First two digits represent model type. Numbers found are

21 - Panelvan
22 - Microbus eight-seater
23 - Kombi
24 - Clipper or Microbus L eight-seater
25 - Microbus L seven seater
26 - Pick-up
27 - Ambulance
28 - Microbus seven-seater

The third digit represents the model year. From 1970, the fourth digit is always a '2', representing the '2nd generation of Transporters' or simply 'T2'

So... Going by the above a deluxe model could have either a 24 OR a 25 chassis number prefix?

My deluxe has all the deluxe features bar clock and bumper trim but the chassis number starts with 228

It think many deluxe's left the factory as standards but either the dealership added the deluxe options or the owners did at a later stage. Mines an Oz bus and has all deluxe features except for the chrome window seals however deluxes were never produced for the Oz market. :?

mcvw said:
Something else I found from "Original VW Bus" (Laurence Meredith)...

Bay-Window (1967-79) - Chassis Number Dating

Note: First two digits represent model type. Numbers found are

21 - Panelvan
22 - Microbus eight-seater
23 - Kombi
24 - Clipper or Microbus L eight-seater
25 - Microbus L seven seater
26 - Pick-up
27 - Ambulance
28 - Microbus seven-seater

The third digit represents the model year. From 1970, the fourth digit is always a '2', representing the '2nd generation of Transporters' or simply 'T2'

So... Going by the above a deluxe model could have either a 24 OR a 25 chassis number prefix?

Mike going by them numbers where did my clipper fit in..i know chassis number was a 249 and am pretty sure all deluxes start type24 but mine was a nine seater so who ever put that info down got it wrong.

The confussion is a true all in Deluxe is a type 24, or Clipper L as known in Europe..
then you had the next level of bus which may of had some deluxe items but not all could be a type 25

then you have your regular micro's being a type 22 but as you say extra's have been added to these too.

strange how when you have a deluxe how you research this info..

Latest posts