Where to fit fuel filter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is where I have mine as well:

fuel-filter.jpg

Note the use of the welded on tabs that hold the fuel line up against the 'floor' under the tank, stopping it dangling down.
(You can just see it above the clutch cable, bottom right.)

anywhere behind the doghouse over the gearbox is a good spot, a hot mainfold can melt the plastic type if its fitted in the engine bay and close enough, and the glass ones can shatter.

steve92 said:
i have mine above the gearbox. wouldnt put it in the engine bay,its a fire risk there.

It is no more of a fire risk having above the gearbox or in the engine bay. The engine bay is full of pumped fuel anyway. I'd rather have it where I can see it. Liquid Petrol won't burn with heat alone, it requires an ignition source to ignite the vapour. This usually happens because of shit wiring or crappy HT leads.

speedwell68 said:
This usually happens

If theres' a risk, I'd rather avoid it :)

I can see my fuel filter just by wriggling under my van. Not that tricky, and I've NEVER had a blocked fuel filter.

Not arguing, but I don't see the value of having it in the engine bay :)

Mine is in the engine bay and rests on the fresh air hose so it shouldn't touch anything too hot.

I also use mine to convert the 6mm hose to 8mm for the drla's as it has tapered barbs.

halfpint_fighter said:
Mine is in the engine bay and rests on the fresh air hose so it shouldn't touch anything too hot.

I also use mine to convert the 6mm hose to 8mm for the drla's as it has tapered barbs.

Mine goes under the air hose and is supported by a cable tie. I check my fuel pipes weekly now, I nearly had a leak the other day. Your right the fuel filter is useful to convert between two pipe sizes.:D

AGC said:
Should this be fitted between feed from petrol tank and pump or pump and carb??....

Between the tank and pump.
And as others have said, Fitted somewhere where you can check it and deffo not above the dizzy.

angus said:
That is where I have mine as well:

fuel-filter.jpg

Note the use of the welded on tabs that hold the fuel line up against the 'floor' under the tank, stopping it dangling down.
(You can just see it above the clutch cable, bottom right.)

Mines the same as this too 8)

I can actually check the filter by looking over and behind the rear wheel, without having to get underneath - but my van is stock height and not lowered like many...

Mine is fitted between the fuel pump and the carb (bog standard twin port single carb). I've fabricated a bracket coming off the panel above the engine bay so it is kept well away from the manifolds & HT leads. It looks quite neat, even if I do say so myself. Many vehicles have the fuel filter in the engine bay so it shouldn't be an issue unless it is close to a heat source.

I wonder why VW thought a fuel filter was not needed? Mind you, they didn't think an oil filter was needed either!

One reason might be that there is a very very fine mesh filter 'sock' located in the fuel tank. I replaced the angled pipe that comes out of the bottom of the fuel tank when I re-painted mine. Inside, it has a 40mm long metal mesh filter stuck on it - a closed ended tube about the thickness or a thick pencil. The new pipe came with a plastic moulded equivalent part. If I can find the 'original' filter, I'll take a picture. This would stop all but the finest bits in the fuel, but not the smallest particles that the felt filter can catch. When I saw this internal filter, it did make me wonder how bits of rusted fuel tank can get through, but I am guessing that in some cases this internal filter might come loose/break off?
I fitted an in-line filter in addition.

As for the oil filter, which will just about catch the odd 5mm nut that might come past, but nothing much else.... :?

Latest posts