Which drop spindles to buy and owt else i need

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montypsx

Reaction score
hi at last i've saved up enough dosh to buy some 3.5" drop spindles for my 71 dorma. two questions first question which ones are the best to buy and second question do i need to buy anything else or is it a case of unbolting one and putting the others on. cheers phil

I'm of the understanding that the 'flipped' spindles from either Slamwerks or Transporterhaus are the best ATM. Just going on what I've been told.

Karl

montypsx said:
do i need to buy anything else or is it a case of unbolting one and putting the others on. cheers phil

Extras you will need:
1 adjustable track rod which replaces your static track rod.

You may need:
Lower profile tyres - If you are running commerical tyres factor in you will need to change them or have tyre rub.
Uprated shocks - depends how heavy your bus is and how much spring is left in your torsion bars.

Fitting instructions here http://transporterhaus.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty much what Alex said ^^^^, I`d count on coilovers minimum because your springs are 40 years old, some low profile tyres for your front rims, a felt tip pen to re mark your speedo, and another adjustable track rod. :mrgreen: And count on re setting your camber (eccentric nuts) and wheel alignment (Track rod ends) Thre`s a bit of a thread about camber on here recently ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, It all probably needs looking at anyway :lol: ;) :lol:

You also need to factor in some way of getting the back down a bit, usual ways are adjusting the splines, or fitting horseshoe plates or adjustable spring plates.

Good thread here on the whole thing, learn from others experiences:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fitted transporterhaus ones and they work great and have vastly improved the handling.
You will need decent shocks and lower profile tyres on the front.

well!!! i've just read the link "mister" posted and know i'm having second thoughts, i can aford the spindles and tyres but all the other problems people are having :? i dont know if my pocket is deep enough or i'm good enough to sort it out :roll: , i us the camper for camping and dont want to risk it so i think its time for a serious think. thanks for all the info you guys keep send cheers phil :D

If you use it for camping you could just 'sensibly' lower it. It's what I did on mine Phil and it's no where near as costly as dropped spindles and the lark. Ok, not as cool but coolish and still practical. Cost me about £150 I think ;) Check out my galley thread, it's all on there.. 

montypsx said:
well!!! i've just read the link "mister" posted and know i'm having second thoughts, i can aford the spindles and tyres but all the other problems people are having :? i dont know if my pocket is deep enough or i'm good enough to sort it out :roll: , i us the camper for camping and dont want to risk it so i think its time for a serious think. thanks for all the info you guys keep send cheers phil :D

Gotta love the internet :roll: Hundreds of happy users not moaning, but of course it's only the moaners that post :lol:

TransporterHaus said:
montypsx said:

Gotta love the internet :roll: Hundreds of happy users not moaning, but of course it's only the moaners that post :lol:

Dude, he did start the thread! Plus he's right (to a point) you do need fairly deep pockets to properly lower a bus without problems, especially (as he points out) you are not sure of your own abilities. :D

Buss69 said:
Dude, he did start the thread! Plus he's right (to a point) you do need fairly deep pockets to properly lower a bus without problems, especially (as he points out) you are not sure of your own abilities. :D

That comment isn't meant like that, its a general you only hear from customers when they are unhappy about something but it doesn't mean it's the overall picture. It's the British way i think.

if i go the drop spindle route i want to keep my 14" steel wheels at presant the tyres are 185 x 14 what size tyre would i need to go to.

TransporterHaus said:
Buss69 said:

That comment isn't meant like that, its a general you only hear from customers when they are unhappy about something but it doesn't mean it's the overall picture. It's the British way i think.
:D :D

TransporterHaus said:

I'm happy with mine, but I generally like moaning. I guess that makes me British :lol:

TH flipped spindles. The only way IMHO.

Jim

the_troupster said:
TransporterHaus said:

I'm happy with mine, but I generally like moaning. I guess that makes me British :lol:

TH flipped spindles. The only way IMHO.

Jim

Me too. TH spindles awesome! Bus drives, handles and looks great. Just do your homework about needed before you start spending to make sure it all fits in your budget. Top product!

montypsx said:
if i go the drop spindle route i want to keep my 14" steel wheels at presant the tyres are 185 x 14 what size tyre would i need to go to.

I've got the Slamwerks spindles. 175/65 tyres on the original wheels, a set of the gsf coilover shocks (part no 455VG0850), and no rubbing at all.

I'm using Wagenswest spindles (2.5" drop) with creative engineering adjusters, stock shocks, stock 14" wheels and 185/70/14 tyres up front and have no rubbing problems whatsoever. I did have problems with 185/80/14s.

I run Monroe air shocks on my TH spindles and they are great done over 3500 miles this year ( ebi, bad, etc ) its the way to go :D

Not got them yet but going with Slamwerks spindles along with their narrowed beam.

Will let you know how they are when i eventually get them and fit them

Sorry, not much help that haha

Latest posts